Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Sore and Tired? Not an Excuse, Just an Incentive.

Today's
post-workout
selfie
I woke up this morning surprised that the back of my upper arms (triceps) were a tad sore. Must've been all those push ups as they add up to just shy of 200 (3x50=150 + 3x15=45 totals 195). I'm not putting on size (thankgoodness!) but my arms get a good pump and I feel that I'm maintaining if not increasing my strength. It's what I've been after all along.

I'm definitely not getting enough sleep either, but that doesn't stop me from going to the gym for my standard 10 minute cardio "warm up" with 4 minutes Tabata. At least I do get warm from it. I have to remind myself to inhale as deeply as I can because I tend to pant in a rather shallow fashion, and that sort of breathing isn't very productive. Uh oh, there's a weird purple-magenta band about 4 inches high running across the entire width of the screen on the left kickboxing machine. The color seems to bleed through sporadically during the video demonstration, but is fairly static during the Follow Me Avatar Program. I punch in 12 rounds because I intend to get another 3 at the Intermediate Level.

The color band becomes really distracting when the avatar body develops a purple-green halo around it's torso that resembles fluttering insect wings. Still, it's not enough for me to interrupt my program. After I finish the 12 rounds, I mention the screen issue to the front desk, and to J who is actually training on the adjacent cable machine. "You should try the right-side machine. I fixed a bunch of the sensors," he tells me. So I move all my gear to the other machine and punch in 3 rounds of Intermediate. It's not horrible, but still glitchy. It still doesn't register my Lead Sweep, and sometimes Power Kick. It jumbles a series of combinations and doesn't register all the blows either. Ugh. But it works. Sort of.

10 more minutes of cardio for a "cool down", but it's not a cool down. Especially since I upped the Tabata to 6 minutes. I'm drenched again so thankgoodness I'm wearing my hoodie to blot everything. I take a few minutes on the Mat to do a quick set of crunches and stretch out my upper and lower back. I see D and we discuss the Nexersys, and being a married single parent. She has 3 boys so I really have nothing to complain about. She shows me where the reset button is on the machines as well. She's going to have a go at the newly-fixed right-side machine. I'll be back to whack the machines on Friday. Tomorrow is Bench and Row day. If I can get on the Smith machine.

Wednesday Workout

10 min elliptical = 3 min steady state + 4 min Tabata + 3 min steady state = 0.8 miles

Nexersys 12 rounds Beginner Follow Me (48 min)
  Accuracy 98% / Strikes 99% / Average Power 140%


Nexersys 3 rounds Intermediate Follow Me (12 min)

  Accuracy 82% / Strikes 95% / Average Power 108%

10 min elliptical = 2 min steady state + 6 min Tabata + 2 min steady state = 0.79 miles

50 Crunches

photos posted for actual stats: 
<Note the purple band running the width of the screen

<Right-side machine doesn't have screen issues

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...