Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Hump Day Blues

It's unseasonably warm at near 80°F, so I've delayed swapping the screens for storm panels on our doors. Today the school bus was 5 minutes early and we were 2 minutes late, so my son had to run down the hill in order to make the bus. It's promising to be a weird day. My neighbor is very chatty and while I don't mind being friendly, I find that this morning conversation really saps my momentum when I'm trying to get to the gym. Still, I do make it and even manage to tape my hands beforehand.

I have new "gel" wraps because my gloves are STILL wet even though I rinsed them out two days ago. I may resort to tossing them into the dryer! I do my 10 minute cardio warm up but change the Tabata to 5 minutes of 15 seconds On and 30 seconds Off. Then I tap in 12 rounds at Beginner Level. Halfway through the program, the screen blinks ominously and the blue disappears out of the magenta band. Uh oh. This makes reading various combinations difficult, and some signals disappear altogether. And then, during the last round, I feel my right pinky knuckle sting. It always happens during the 12 round and I'm not sure why. Today I put a small bandaid on it, under the tape and cloth wrap, but it didn't really help. Worse, my left hand pointer first joint is chafing against the edge of the glove. It takes the skin right off. Which detracts from my accuracy and punching power. If my gloves aren't dry by Friday, I'll have to tape both pointer fingers as well as my knuckles.

I'm not really in the mood for the ending 10 minutes of cardio, but I do it anyway, sticking to 2 minutes of steady state followed by 8 minutes of 15 seconds On and 30 seconds Off. Then a quick stretch and off to shower. Done. Yaaaay!

Hump Day Workout

10 min elliptical = 3 min steady state + 5 min Tabata + 2 min steady state = 0.79 miles

Nexersys 12 rounds Beginner Follow Me (48 min)
  Accuracy 96% / Strikes 99% / Average Power 134%

Nexersys 3 rounds Intermediate Follow Me (12 min)

  Accuracy 84% / Strikes 99% / Average Power 90%

10 min elliptical = 2 min steady state + 8 min Tabata = 0.77 miles

photos posted for actual stats: 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...