Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Another Rainy Cardio Workout

I got up 5 minutes earlier than usual and it made all the difference in having enough time to walk puppers, load the car and get my son to the school bus stop with time to spare. I had planned to do a bit of grocery shopping after the gym so I parked near the supermarket. However, when I browsed the store flyer, I discovered that the sale items were only going to be available for 3 days starting Wednesday. Today is Tuesday. Ugh. Also, I need to "clip" the digital coupons. Which also won't actually become available until, yes you guessed it, Wednesday. WTF?!

Why does the store want to cram shoppers in at the end of the week and punish those who prefer to hit the store earlier? As it is, Mondays are the worst days to shop because often stock hasn't been replenished from the weekend. I move my car to the other end of the strip, closer to the gym. It's pouring and there's no reason now to walk halfway across the lot.

It's a light cardio workout, but I'm admittedly really tired by the time I climb off the StepMill. Thank goodness I don't have to do pullups or pushups until tomorrow. I'm still undecided: add shoulders to a basic Pull Day workout or not. I still feel guilty about skipping Smith RDLs. But I might just stick with pullups and Seated Cable Rows for now. It's not the same, but better than not doing anything. It's hard being a gym rat when parts of your body would prefer that you were more sedentary.

This morning, I read an article about resting heart rates and how variable they are. But now, instead of comparing a person's HR with the general population, docs are starting to compare it to the person's past history. Because a change in HR could be significant. Um, I'm thinking aging might have some effect? I watch my own purported anomalies with great fascination. It could just be extremely unreliable sensors in every elliptical I've ever used.

I'm very hesitant to insist on a closer examination of my apparently erratic heart rate. It appears normal in the few brief ECGs I've had so there's nothing immediately alarming. My biggest fear is some idiot will tell me I need something to keep my heart rate at a steady pace and that I can't exercise. Because it's in the textbooks and that's how they treat people. I'll be relegated to the trove of seniors trudging grudgingly on the treadmills. No thanks. I feel like I'm chafing with the limitations I already have.


Another Rainy Cardio Tuesday

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 2
Miles 2.89
Calories 323
HR 153-188

20 Step Mill
Level 4
Calories 130
Total steps 855
Floors 53
HR 103

Cage Stretch

Elbow Plank 60s
Sideway Scissors 60
Crunches 60/60
Bicycles 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Reclining Hero Pose

2 comments:

  1. I would not pay any attention to the built-in HR monitors on gym equipment. If you really want to know what’s going on, consider getting a heart rate monitor. There are many variations. Traditional chest belts are probably the most reliable, but wrist and ring variations are getting better all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've given wearable HR monitors a lot of thought. I don't trust Fitbits and other bracelet devices. And I've got an issue with compression making my limbs numb. I guess I'm not concerned enough to invest the ridiculous amount of money it costs to buy a reliable chest-strap HR monitor. Plus I think it'd be godawful uncomfortable (just like most bras)...

      Delete

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...