Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Is Bigger Better?

I was quite disappointed with my cardio this morning, only registering 4.99 miles after 45 sweaty minutes. I think it might be the fact I was on elliptical #1 instead of my favorite #3. I don't quite understand the conversion factor either, since 8350 steps should equal a bit over 5 miles, or at least it does on elliptical #3. Even machine #2 is better than #1 but nothing's as bad as #4 which has a rough hiccup in it's motion, making it very difficult to set up a good rhythmic pace.

Rowing moves pretty smoothly and I finish my sets feeling strong. Lower back extensions, cage stretch and kicks. I finish that with a dozen close-grip neutral chin-ups with my legs curled up against my abs because there's really no room to extend them parallel to the floor, and I hate feeling them hang (there's a potential for your body and legs to swing which makes it much harder).

I still dread doing Lat Pull Downs and squeeze in a set of Torso Twists to buy some recuperation time for my forearms. Because my friend B is feeling chatty today, I actually get more rest between sets than usual. After 6 sets of Pull Downs, there are still Reverse Grip Bent Over Barbell Rows and Bicep Curls to do before those last three killer sets of Reverse Grip Barbell Curls.

I feel pretty strong and also get a few inclined (60°) twisting situps in (about 125 reps). B offers to do the Reverse Grip Curls too since she has elbow issues as well, but hers are Tennis (top) and mine are Golfer (bottom). I don't actually have tears in my eyes this time, but B tells me she can't straighten her arm afterwards. She uses a 20 lb bar while I have the 30 lb. I'm done but B wants to knock out a few sets of regular barbell curls and tells me to leave my bar with her. She's bemoaning how much she used to lift. Back when she was younger. And had less injuries. Heck, she'll be 60 in September!

Today's Total Workout:
45 min cardio = 4.99 miles
Seated Cable Rows: 1 x 12 @ 75 / 1 x 12 @ 90 / 3 x 12 @ 105 / 2 x 12 @ 90 lbs
Lower Back Extension (machine): 2 x 25 @ 90 lbs
Cage stretch & kicks with 12 neutral close-grip chin ups
Lat Pull Downs: 6 x 12 @ 90 lbs
Torso Twists: 2 x 25 @ 60 lbs
Reverse Grip Bent Over Barbell Rows: 6 x 15-12 @ 50 lbs
60° Inclined Twisting Situps: 125
Dumbbell Curls: 1 x 12 @ 15 / 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Reverse Grip Barbell Curls: 3 x 20 @ 30 lbs
Mat stretch for hams, calves, back, shoulders & neck

The scale registers a whopping 108.0 and I know it's true. I'm bigger. I'm heavier. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm stronger for sure. But I like my clothes and don't want to have to buy larger sizes! Ideally, I'd just like to be really strong and not all that big.

Compared to the Olympic power lifters, I'm neither. And as an extreme example, I give you Kazaktan's Zulfiya Chinshanlo who is 117 lbs and just broke a world record with a clean and jerk of 131 kg (288.8 lbs). Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...