Monday, July 9, 2012

Monday's Not for Thinking

This morning I looked at my bed and thought about how nice it'd be to take a little nap. This was at 8:15 am and I was getting my son ready for camp and my gear ready for the gym. Nevermind that I was up all night on and off, probably due to the ice coffee I was sipping all Sunday afternoon as I tried to make sense of my son's room, and clean it.

When I got to the gym, I thought about how I'd slept funny and my neck seemed a little stiff, and my left ankle'd been bothering me, and how much I'd eaten on Saturday at this lovely Portuguese and Brazilian restaurant, Sol Mar in Tarrytown that we stopped at after spending an afternoon cavorting with pirates at Phillipsburg Manor (www.hudsonvalley.org).

I trudged over to the cardio machines and plugged in with my hoodie down. 45 breathless minutes later gives me 5.11 miles and I'm happy. Especially since I was wondering if I'd even make it past the 4.5 mile mark. What I'm not happy about is the dearth of paper towels. It's a sweaty workout day. Although it's not raining inside my hoodie, I'm still pretty thirsty. I can only imagine so is everyone else. The Smith machine clears just as I get to it so I take it as a sign that I should bench heavy today. I put on my elbow braces and opt to use a thumbless grip throughout. The wrist sits in a different position this way and there's less stress on it.

Today's workout:
Smith machine bench press: 1 x 12 @ bar / 1 x 12 @ 95 lbs / 1 x 12 @ 115 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 135 lbs / 1 x 12 @ 115 / 1 x 20 @ 95
Cage stretch & kicks
Abs (torso twist) 2 x 25 @ 60 lbs
Front Dumbbell Raises Superset with Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 3 x 12 @ 17.5 lbs
Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 3 x 12 @ 17.5 lbs
Rear Inclined Seated Dumbbell Raises: 6 x 15 @ 17.5 lbs
One Arm Tricep Extension w Dumbbell: 1 x 12 @ 15 lbs / 1 x 12 @ 17.5 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
45° Inclined twisting situps: 100 reps
Lower Ab kickouts: 100 reps
Mat stretch for hamstrings, arms, shoulders, neck, calves, thighs

I trudge off to the locker room feeling much better than when I came in this morning. The scale bounces around and settles on 107.2 lbs and I'm good with that. I'm ravenously hungry, can't wait to suck down my ice cold protein drink and then off to chores... Monday's best for doing, not thinking. Back tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...