Thursday, July 19, 2012

Mid-Summer Fallout

The heat wave broke so it feels a tad cooler today. I actually wore my hoodie in the car to the gym. I'm sore and slightly stiff all over. I probably feel like this most mornings but it's so minor that it's not really worth noticing. 45 min on the elliptical gives me a nice sweaty 5.27 miles. Today's the 2nd Push Day this week so I won't bench heavy. I'll just do reps.

I'm noticing some vaguely familiar faces at the gym. People who used to come regularly and then stopped. Now they're back, being greeted like long lost seafarers. Wonder if they exercised anything besides their mouths and handshakes.
Biceps, triceps, delts & pectorals!
I flat bench using a thumbless grip and go for reps. It feels pretty good. During the cage stretch and kicks, I realize that somehow I'm rotating my hip slightly and it's thrown my knee off when I kick. Aha. That's why my right knee bothered me during squats yesterday. I have to be more cognizant of my stance positions. Today I actually remember to pick up the 2.5 lb magnetic disc weights at the desk before I start doing dumbbell raises for shoulders. My shoulders are sore but I don't feel it's necessary to go light with delts. I'm more concerned about my Golfer's Elbow.

Today's Total Workout:
45 min cardio = 5.27 miles
Flat bench: 1 x 25 @ bar (45 lbs) / 1 x 25 @ 65 lbs / 1 x 25 @ 85 lbs / 1 x 50 @ bar
Cage stretch & kicks
Dumbbell front raises superset with lateral raises: 3 x 12 @ 17.5 lbs
Lateral raises: 3 x 12 @ 17.5 lbs
Seated rear inclined dumbbell raises: 5 x 15 @ 17.5 lbs
One arm tricep dumbbell extension: 1 x 12 @ 15 / 1 x 12 @ 17.5 / 1 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Torso twists: 2 x 25 @ 60 lbs
Decline bench thumbless grip: 1 x 75 reps @ bar (45 lbs)
French press with EZ bar: 4 x 16-20 reps @ bar (15 lbs)
45° Inclined Situp with 10 lb plate: 1 x 50 / 2 x 25 reps
Seated lower ab kickouts: 135
Mat stretch for hamstrings, calves, back, shoulders & neck

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be sore tomorrow. Or even later today. The scale reads 107.4 lbs. Hmmm. I guess I AM heavier! Of course, it's hard to tell where exactly that new pound actually resides on my body. Back? Legs? Glutes? Hard to say. Until I shower and dress.

My "new" (relatively, well, at least they're this year and a reasonable size) EMS shorts seem a tad tight. But not in the waist or hips. If anything, I've become used to wearing a lot of my pants as hip-huggers because I'm fairly straightly built and everything just slides down to hip level. No, it's the thighs. A bit tight. How odd. Must be those damn squats. Or all the hamstring work I've been doing. I still can't really see my leg biceps but I don't think the quads are any bigger (those I can see in the mirror). Damn! I'll never have clothes that fit properly at this rate! Thank goodness it's summer and I can get away with wearing light loose Hawaiian dresses, gym shorts and tank tops. Ah, bless the summer fallout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...