Monday, July 16, 2012

Heat Wave Number 4

Since we had a relatively mild winter, I'm not at all surprised that we're having such a torrid summer. In spite of last night's thunderstorms, the day is blistering. I've been toting my hoodie to the gym and putting it on for the 45 minute "run". I get 5.07 miles which is better than I expect as I list all the things I probably shouldn't've eaten over the weekend. Or even last night. Like 3 glasses of wine. Bags of Fritos and Cheetos and Doritos. And portions of blueberry and cranberry scones, corn and other muffins. Yes, going to Salinger's Farm Market can be dangerous!

I didn't sweat as much as I anticipated, but I still felt dehydrated and emptied my water bottle before my workout was over. Benching heavy on the Smith was better last week. Today, my thumb keeps registering a small sharp ping as I press the bar up and it's probably related to my Golfer's Elbow. I wear the elbow braces for my entire workouts now. I have the name of a sports chiropractor who is well-regarded at my gym, but I haven't gotten around to calling him for an appointment yet.

Today's Total Workout:
45 minutes Precor elliptical = 5.07 miles
Smith bench press: 1 x 12 @ bar (45 lbs) / 1 x12 @ 95 lbs / 1 x 12 @ 115 lbs / 3 x 11 @ 135 lbs / 1 x 12 @ 115 lbs / 1 x 15 @ 95 lbs
Cage stretch & kicks
Torso twists: 2 x 25 @ 60 lbs
Front dumbbell raises superset with Lateral raises 3 x 12 @ 17.5 lbs
Lateral dumbbell raises: 3 x 12 @ 17.5 lbs
Rear inclined seated dumbbell raises: 6 x 15 @ 17.5 lbs
One arm dumbbell tricep extensions: 1 x 12 @ 15 lbs / 1 x 12 @ 17.5 lbs / 2 x 12 @ 20 lbs
45° Inclined situp with 10 lb plate: 1 x 50 / 2 x 25
Seated lower ab kickouts: 125
Triceps pressdowns (angled bar): 1 x 12 @ 30 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 40 lbs
Mat stretch for hamstrings, calves, back, shoulders, neck

I can't wait to shower. The scale reads 107.6 lbs and I'm pleasantly surprised. I hear that tomorrow will be 98° and I wonder if I'm actually brave enough to wear shorts to the gym. Not that I don't like my legs, but I have better workouts if I'm not self-conscious about my apparel, whether I look silly or if there are parts of me in the public eye that shouldn't be. Thank goodness for air conditioning.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...