Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Running Shorts are Only for Running

Because it was already 74°F when I got up to walk the dog, I decided to grit my teeth and don my new UnderArmour fluorescent pink running shorts to the gym. They're long enough to cover a few inches past my butt and loose enough so that I'm not too concerned if my underwear creeps up. The waistband allows me to attach my iPod without worrying whether it'll get knocked off. I had that problem with those trendy twisted waist yoga pants which I'll probably just use as winter jammies instead.

To the left is a screenshot from the UnderArmour website showing the shorts in magenta. I have those too. But I don't have those skinny legs! Below is a photo of me wearing the same shorts (the model is probably wearing an XS too). Boy do these shorts look different! Doing cardio was great, even though I still zipped up my grey hoodie. 45 min gave me 5.33 miles. Exhilarating!

I have to pull off my hoodie in order to put on my elbow braces. The hoodie's not completely soaked through so I use it to mop my face and neck. The neutral grip bar I normally use is missing so I replace it with a standard rowing bar (palms face down instead of each other). It causes a small amount of discomfort in my forearms (similar to the discomfort of doing Lat Pull Downs) but since I just started my back workout, I can't really start complaining! Once I'm done with that (and I can definitely feel my middle back and lats as I do these exercises), I realize that I'm probably not going to like doing the cage stretch and kicks.

My new running shorts.
My shorts are too short. Calf dips and raises are fine. Front stretch okay. Side kick. Ah, well, hmmm. I do a few of them but I'm so self-conscious of my inner thighs that it's distracting even though I'm pretty sure I'm the only one looking at me. But it's not enough. I just can't do it. I don't even do my side stretch (leg out to the side on a bar about head height). Tomorrow's a Leg Day and I'm certainly going to wear longer leggings!

Today's Total Workout:
45 min Precor elliptical  = 5.33 miles
Seated cable rows: 1 x 12 @ 75 lbs / 2 x 12 @ 90 lbs / 3 x 8-10 @ 105 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 90 lbs
Cage stretch & kicks
Seated lower back press: 4 x 25 @ 90 lbs
Lat Pull downs: 6 x 12 @ 90 lbs
Twisting Situps: 150 reps
Torso twist: 2 x 25 @ 60 lbs
Reverse Grip Bent Over Barbell Rows: 6 x 15-12 @ 50 lbs
Bicep Dumbbell Curls: 1 x 12 @ 15 lbs / 2 x 12 @ 17.5 lbs / 3 x 12-8 @ 20 lbs
Mat stretch for hamstring, calves, back, shoulders & neck

No skinny thighs here!
Tomorrow I'm definitely wearing longer leg wear. There wasn't any untoward jiggling, which is a relief! But I'm still too self-conscious about the bane of most women, inner thigh stretch-marks from puberty. Before I joined the gym and dropped 20 lbs, I remember noting all the parts of me that jiggled when I walked briskly, like my belly! Egads! And my butt! There was even underarm dingle dangle! Today, I note that I don't remember the last time I felt "jiggling" and that makes me happy. The scale reads 106.6 lbs as I head off to the shower. Yep, these are great running shorts. But only for running.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...