Friday, July 6, 2012

Summer's Definitely Here!

Well, I got a killer tan. On my arms anyway. That's the part of me that gets the most exposure and the least sunscreen. It's okay when you're wearing a sleeveless polo but it looks awfully funny when the rest of you gets bared, in let's say, a swim suit. Because white skin is... well, quite stark. And I'm not a tanning booth person. Or a spray tan fan. I'd have to spray my entire back. And front! Not gonna happen.

Today is Friday and I'm glad because I'm definitely tired. 45 min of cardio only gets me 5.14 miles but at least I hit the 5 mile mark. I feel much better as I wipe down the Precor and head toward the cable rowing station. I'm determined to make myself a nice back and I think rows are the foundation movement for thick powerful lats (latissimus dorsi). I want that beautiful V-taper that athletes have. I know everyone swears by lat pull downs but since I can't pull a lot of weight due to my elbow issues, I have to be moderate with that particular exercise.

These days I wear the Golfer Elbow braces for all the exercises I do. At the cage stretch, I manage to chin myself a dozen times with a close neutral grip. I don't like my legs hanging so I curl them into my abdomen while I chin. It's the most chin ups I've ever done and my elbows don't feel too bad.

Today's workout:
Cable Rows: 1 x 12 @ 75 lbs / 2 x 12 @ 90 lbs / 3 x 8-12 @ 105 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 90 lbs
Lower Back Extensions: 4 x 25 @ 90 lbs
Cage stretch and kicks
Pull Downs: 6 x 12 @ 90 lbs
Reverse Grip Barbell Rows: 6 x 12-15 @ 50 lbs
Dumbbell curls: 1 x 12 @ 15 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Mat stretch for hamstrings, back, neck & shoulders; 1 x 100 alternating knee to elbow crunches

I'm surprised that the scale reads 106.4 lbs. Must've been all that fluid I drank yesterday (we drink a mix of 2-3 oz fruit juice to 10-14 oz water in our household) flushing out the salt from the seafood we enjoyed the last several nights. I skip abs today. My tail bone's been sore due to the twisting sit ups and lower ab kickouts. I'm not liking the way my abs are responding to the heavier weight. I'm just getting thicker and it's not a good look for me. No need to imitate a fireplug.

July 6 vs June 1. Subtle differences.
When I get home I take a few progress photos to compare with the last several months. My patchwork tan makes it hard to determine differences. I do see a tiny difference in my back. Hurray! And it's exactly where I'm a bit sore! Yay!





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...