Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Numbers Game

I got to the gym a few minutes late but I felt as if I'd been slacking. There are statewide severe weather warnings for later today so I'm glad I get my workouts done in the morning. I am absolutely freezing when I come out of the locker room so I've zipped my hoodie all the way up. 45 minutes on gentle hill #6 gives me 5.32 sweaty miles. Sweat is good.

Today is a Push Day but the Smith is occupied by some over-grown, baby-faced college kid I've never seen before. I do my cage stretch and kicks instead. My butt and calves are stiff, even after a 5 mile workout, and I'm glad to have the opportunity to stretch them out. I do reps at the flat bench and those feel pretty good at a brisk pace.

Today's Total Workout:
45 min cardio = 5.32 miles
Flat bench for reps: 1 x 25 @ bar / 1 x 25 @ 65 lbs / 1 x 25 @ 85 lbs / 1 x 25 @ 65 lbs /
1 x 50 @ bar
Cage stretch & kicks
Front & lateral dumbbell raises superset: 1 x 12 @ 15 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 17.5 lbs
Lateral dumbbell raises: 3 x 12 @ 17.5 lbs
Seated rear inclined dumbbell raises: 6 x 12 @ 20 lbs
One arm tricep extension: 1 x 12 @ 15 lbs / 2 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Twisting situps: 125 reps
Smith bench press: 1 x 12 @ bar / 1 x 12 @ 95 lbs / 1 x 12 @ 115 lbs / 1 x 12 @ 135 lbs /
1 x 12 @ 115 lbs / 1 x 12 @ 95 lbs
Tricep pressdowns: 1 x 12 @ 30 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 40 lbs
Mat stretch for hams, calves, back, shoulders & neck

Shoulders feel a little sore but not enough for me to lower the sets or the weight. 17.5 lbs for front and lateral raises, and 20 lbs for the inclined seated rear delts. I also do a few sets of one-arm tricep dumbbell extensions but I get a twinge on my right side. I know that's going to bother me the rest of the workout. Sigh.

I rest my arms and shoulders by doing Twisting Situps. No Torso Twist machine or Lower Ab Kickouts today. The Smith is finally free and just because I don't want to go a week without lifting heavy, I do sets of 12 until I get to 135 lbs. I only do one set. My right palm, wrist, elbow and shoulder are all twinging. I pyramid down. I tell myself it's enough to do one set at 135 lbs because I don't want to incur serious injuries by ignoring all the warning signs.

Even the tricep pressdowns don't feel bad. I'm just feeling a bit tired. After the mat stretch, I go shower. The scale reads 107.8 lbs! There's no doubt about it: I've put on weight. And again, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm told that I'm tiny (by more than a few people) but I don't feel tiny. I don't even feel short (which most assuredly, I am) until I'm trying to reach something on a top shelf at the grocery mart. 108 lbs sounds kind of big for someone not even 5 feet tall. But perhaps that's just my old body image talking to me. Everything's a head game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...