Friday, July 20, 2012

Change is in the Air

So it's definitely cooler and rainier today. The heat wave has broken and next week promises normal July weather. Not that it should matter, since gym rats go workout in any weather. I'm dragging myself like the walking dead to the gym because I've not fully recuperated from "bracelet night" at the local carnival and being bad parents, we stayed out with our son until all the rides shut down. That'd be about midnight. Which means not getting to sleep until about 1 am. Bleah!

Right outer bicep
But cardio cures all! 45 minutes and 5.37 miles and I'm sweaty and happy. I'm not even tired anymore! It's the 2nd Pull Day (back and biceps) of the week and my right elbow has been pinging sporadically. Fool that I am, I go all out on cable rows, figuring I'll just baby my forearm for all the other less important exercises. It works for me but it's probably not the smartest thing to do. But something's changed because the 90 lb sets feel fairly easy. Wahoo!

The cage stretch and kicks feel okay but I've become ultra-aware of my right knee so I keep that fairly light. Pull downs suck, as always, and there's too big a social crowd at the machines so I move on as soon as I'm done. Not liking the thickness of my lower abs, I skip the Torso Twists today and only do Seated Twisting Situps. I don't even do the Kickouts because I did them yesterday. I'm wondering if I cut back on my abs, perhaps they'll calm down to a reasonable appearance.


A 6-pack may not be in my genetics.
Today's Total Workout:
45 min cardio = 5.37 miles
Seated cable rows: 1 x 12 @ 75 lbs / 2 x 12 @ 90 lbs / 3 x 8 @ 105 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 90 lbs
Lower back machine extensions: 2 x 25 @ 90 lbs
Cage stretch & kicks
Lat pull downs: 5 x 12 @ 90 lbs
Bicep Dumbbell Curls: 1 x 12 @ 15 lbs / 3 x 8-12 @ 20 lbs
Seated twisting situps: 125 reps
Bent Over Reverse Grip Barbell Rows: 5 x 15-12 @ 50 lbs
Mat stretch for hamstrings, calves, back, shoulders & neck

The scale reads a whopping 108 lbs. Wow. I haven't weighed more at the end of the week than the beginning in a very long time. Something's different. It might be water weight from the salty food and late night we had. Or I might actually be putting on real weight. It's hard to tell, which is why it's so important to weight yourself everyday to spot trends and make comparisons. My glutes are sore and my thighs feel bigger because my pants legs feel tighter. Hmmm. Maybe I shouldn't be doing a Leg workout after all if I'm going to have trouble with pants again. While it's nice to know that your body is responsive to changes in your routine, sometimes you don't really know what exactly it is that you've wished for. Until you get it.

4 comments:

  1. If you want the appearance of a "waist", you can consider making your lats bigger rather than trying to keep your obliques smaller. I'm guessing that the way you snap your self-portraits might make it hard to accentuate the lat flare. Even slight changes in posture can make a huge difference in silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Which is why I've been working my back much harder, trying to add thickness and width. However, it seems that my abs are much more responsive than I realized, and my waist is indeed thicker than last month (sigh). It's apparently also important to take measurements in order to determine where the size (weight) increases are occurring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I've always been partial to the blocky, powerful build. In my opinion, you look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But as I recall you always had a great set of abs and a wicked lat flare from swim team.

      Delete

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...