Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tuesday Trials and Tribulations

Again I'm dragging my butt to the gym. I'm pretty sure that this is due to that part of the monthly cycle where I just want to lay in bed all day and eat bon bons. Okay, I've never wanted to eat bon bons, but laying in bed sure sounds good. Except that I need to take my son to camp, and myself to the gym.

B says to me,"You look like you just got up out of bed" and I respond, "I feel like I just got up out of bed." Nevermind that it's 9:20 am and I've been up since before 7. It probably IS that part of my cycle, only because at my age, all my hormones are diminishing so I have no outward signs of that cycle. Also, I don't get night sweats, haven't lost my memory, and every now and then I feel a bit warm but nothing I can call a hot flash. Oooh, lucky me!

Trudge trudge trudge. Damn the gym is crowded! But the cross-trainers are free so there's my 45 minutes of elliptical giving me 5.27 miles. Better than I expected! I'm starting to feel like a human being albeit a bit breathless with a big inexplicable grin on my face.

I cant' get on the rowing station right away so I do cage stretches and kicks to keep myself warm and limber. It's definitely raining inside my hoodie. But I'm feeling good now.

Today's workout:
Cage stretch & kicks
Pull Downs: 5 x 12 @ 90 lbs
Cable Rowing: 1 x 12 @ 75 lbs / 2 x 12 @ 90 lbs / 3 x 8 @ 105 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 90 lbs
Abs: Torso twists 2 x25 @ 60 lbs / Inclined weighted sit ups 4 x 25 @ 10 lb plate /
Twisting situps 125
Reverse Grip Bent-Over Barbell Rows: 6 x 12-15 @ 50 lbs
Bicep Dumbbell Curls: 1 x 12 @ 15 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Mat stretch for hamstrings, neck, shoulders, back and calves

The scale reads 106.2 and I'm surprised. Oddly, I really thought I'd weight more. Yesterday I skipped my 2nd protein drink and ate a pear and a bag of raw almonds instead. Then I had dinner (boneless skinless chicken thighs sauteed with fresh spinach, garden-fresh sugar snap peas, sun-dried tomatoes and rotini pasta seasoned with soy, sherry, garlic powder and grated fresh ginger), and a snack size chocolate ice cream Dove bar. 150 calories seems like an awful lot for something so little. I find that I don't really care for them. (More for the men in the house!)

I'm happier with a bowl of cherry vanilla ice cream strewn with fresh organic strawberries. Or frozen blueberries (I buy them fresh, wash them, dry them with a paper towel and toss them into a zip lock to freeze.) But of course, if I ever really want to see that 6-pack, I'll have to cut out all that dairy fat. Since I'm not competing, or a fitness model, or have any health issues that I know about, I think I'm going to continue eating as I do.

Tomorrow's Leg Day. I went to the new Olympia Sports store and bought some running shorts because I don't have any gym shorts. Thank goodness for fitting rooms or I'd've bought the wrong size. Apparently I'm an XS. I'm still shocked because they look so little. Until I put them on. It's amazing how persistent an over-sized body image is. I'm even more shocked at the full length mirror that shows my saggy butt when I've stripped back down to my underwear. I've never had a saggy butt before! Egads! Maybe I should squat heavier?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...