Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Mystification

I woke up feeling spacey, sore and achy, which isn't a very promising start to the day. Just to mix things up, I switch out my grey hoodie for a royal blue one. I don't like it as much because the hood is a little short and doesn't fall comfortably over my face unless it's completely drenched. I also put on a nice black nylon T-shirt over my sports bra and capri leggings. It's loose and billowy everywhere except in the shoulders and arms. It's a size Medium, but I didn't realize until I looked at the receipt that it's suppose to be a Men's M. No wonder it's so comfortable!

It's Leg Day which means I'll be doing 2 sets of cardio and I need something that's not going to drape over me like a wet dishcloth. Most of my tanks are cotton and since I'm doing legs, I don't need to see my arms or shoulders or chest. I get on my favorite elliptical #3 and the first leg of 35 minutes on hill #6 gives me a respectable 4.03 miles. I wipe my nose and gulp some water before the next 35 minutes of intervals #7 which gives me 4.36 miles. Wow, I've done over 8 miles. Wahoo! I'm really happy. And kinda tired already. This isn't promising at all.

I get the cage stretch and kicks out of the way, then head to the machines. Normally I'd do three sets of seated Leg Curls, but a class just let out and all the stations are occupied with slugs moving somnambulantly through their exercises. The Smith is free and I do my sets of Squats and then Dead Lifts. The Squats seem heavier today and I have to stop between sets to catch my breath while sweat drips all over the mat. I look like a drowned rat, but at least my T-shirt isn't sticking to my torso. Instead, it feels cool and airy, and my only worry is that it'll flop over my head when I go to stretch later.

My right elbow is really bothering me today. Not so much the inside muscle as the outside boney spot which I assume is the bottom of the humerus. I wear my elbow braces for most of my exercises, and smear on arnica gel a few times a day when I remember. After the gently inclined (60°) twisting situps, there's the welcomed mat stretch. I haven't gotten brave enough to attempt pushing my horizontal split yet. That requires some planning, and bravery I'm too tired to muster. I get on the scale and step off a few times to double, triple check the numbers. Okay, how is this possible? It reads 106.2 lbs. Is that why I'm so tired? I'm mystified.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min cardio hill = 4.03 miles + 35 min cardio intervals = 4.36 miles = 8.39 miles
Cage stretch & kicks
Smith Squats: 1 x 12 @ bar / 1 x 12 @ 95 / 5 x 15-12 @ 115 / 1 x 12 @ 95 lbs
Smith Dead Lifts" 6 x 12 @ 95 lbs
Seated Leg Curls: 1 x 15 @ 75 / 3 x 12 @ 90 / 1 x 15 @ 75 lbs
60° Inclined twisting situp: 125 reps (this time I counted)
Mat stretch for hams, calves, back, shoulders & neck

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...