Friday, January 30, 2015

Trying New Things Isn't Always Better

I finally remembered to do my entire Arm Routine today, which means I actually finished with three sets of light (30 lbs) RG BB Curls for forearms. Of course I warmed up with 30 minutes on the cross-trainer, and then did a few sets of light (15 lbs) DB Shoulder Presses. I really don't like this exercise. My right shoulder clicks and starts to get a bit painful if I'm not really careful. Supersetting DB alternating bicep curls with one-arm DB tricep extensions was much easier this week. I'd be amused by the mother-daughter team at the beauty bell rack if the mother wasn't leaning all over the DB rack for support. Makes it very difficult for anyone else to use any of the DBs there. When they start flapping their arms and alternately kicking their knees up, I have to suppress a giggle.

At the other end is a sturdy young woman seated on an Inclined Bench with DBs, doing alternating curls. She's intermittently chatting with a young man who bounces from DB Flyes to  the cable system and back. I swap the DBs for an EZ bar for the next routine: BB Curls superset with Rip Skulls. I'm always very happy to have brought my own collars since all they have are those nasty spring clips at my gym.

I see that the Cables are very popular so I grab a 30 lb solid BB for the RG BB Curls. Next week I'll borrow a pair of 2.5 lb magnetic discs from the front desk. I've done this movement at 40 lbs but that was a really long time ago and I'm just easing back into it. Finally I can use one of the four Cable stations, but the V-grip handle is in use. I ask the fellow, who is coincidentally the same chatty guy at the DBs, if he's done with those handles yet. I don't like the rope that's affixed to the station I'm at because it's a lot of stress on my forearms and wrist, and I don't feel a lot of tricep involvement. I use the rope for two light sets and then grab a weird mostly straight bar to use as a handle because Chatty Dude has two more sets, but I'm impatient and I don't want to wait around.

The Torso Twist machine is always fun and I kill a bit of time knocking out 100 Flat Bench Knee-Ins. All the ellipticals and step machines are busy so I'm forced to clamber back onto the rogue cross-trainer, the one that shut down at 20 minutes the last time I used it. So I only punch in 20 minutes. When I'm done, I do a modified Mat Stretch. No Dive Bomber Push Ups, no Pistol Squats. But I do a 2 minute plank. Gosh, they are soooooo much easier when you're not huffing and puffing from 40 push ups. Then I try Dolphin Push Ups because I still have my shoes on. I usually take my shoes off for the rest of the Mat Stretch because it's much easier to drop into a split in stocking feet. I have to say that I'm not particularly impressed with Dolphin Push Ups. I felt a tad in my abs, but mostly in my forearms because I'm leaning on them. I get my butt up in the air and move forward until my chin is just kissing the mat. I do 20 and while my shoulders are real happy with them, I'm not feeling particularly challenged.

I drop into a split a few times, alternating which leg is forward. I happen to glance around and see Chatty Guy with a distressed look on his face. I'm not really sure why though. Tomorrow is Leg Day. Maybe I'll wear shorts.

Thursday Arm, Abs and Cardio Workout
(total mileage: 6.3 miles; weights moved 10,900 lbs)

Calorie :   148 CAL
Distance: 3.7 mile
Speed :    7.38 mph
Duration : 00:30:06
21
Set 1 : 15x12
Set 2 : 15x12
Set 3 : 15x12
28
Set 1 : 20x12
Set 2 : 20x12
Set 3 : 20x12 SuperSet With
28
Set 1 : 20x12
Set 2 : 20x12
Set 3 : 20x12
52.5
Set 1 : 15x12
Set 2 : 37.5x12
Set 3 : 37.5x12
Set 4 : 37.5x12 
  SuperSet With
52.5
Set 1 : 15x12
Set 2 : 37.5x12
Set 3 : 37.5x12
Set 4 : 37.5x12
50
Set 1 : 30x20
Set 2 : 30x20
Set 3 : 30x20
56
Set 1 : 20x12
Set 2 : 30x12
Set 3 : 40x12
Set 4 : 40x12

Set 1 : 50x25
Set 2 : 50x25
Calorie :   101 CAL
Distance: 2.6 mile
Speed :    7.71 mph
Duration : 00:20:05
Set 1 : 00:02:01

Set 1 : 20 Lap/Rep
100
Set 1 : 100 Lap/Rep

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...