Saturday, January 17, 2015

Making Workouts Fun

Took my son to the gym because his kung fu practice didn't seem very challenging. But then again, out of 14 students, only 4 showed up for rehearsal today. Granted, Saturday is not the normal kung fu practice day, but the school is putting on a show/fund raiser in a few weeks and the belt test is next weekend. I'm quite pleased that the school has decided to skip my son from his current No Sash status to Yellow Sash, instead of making him wade through White Sash. He has been doing kung fu for a number of years, granted with several different teachers. He works hard during class and emerges pink-faced and sweaty. Except for today.

Today we do the cross-trainer for 20 minutes and my son actually logs in a tad over 2 miles. I don't get that far because I always start after I'm sure he's properly adjusted. Then we go to the Smith machine and proceed with Bench Presses. He knocks out 3 good sets of 12 reps with just the bar. Even though it's just the bar, it's 30 lbs. He's shorter than I am so I have him put his feet flat on the bench too, instead of letting them dangle. When he's bigger I'll introduce him to regular benching. By then he'll be able to plant his feet flat on the ground. I knock out two quick sets just to loosen up. Then we do Inverted Rows, the most horrible exercise ever invented besides Pull Ups, or so says my son. We adjust the bar until it's 3 notches from the bottom.

I claim it's an experiment to see whether it's easier or harder the lower the bar is positioned. He's able to struggle through a sloppy set of 12 reps, and can't quite believe how fast I can knock my set out. Then we lower the bar one notch and do it again. He gets 8 but refuses to give up, complaining after each rep, but still persevering to do the next one. I give him credit for 12 reps because he did 12 reps. Then we lower the bar to the bottom rung. This is very hard for my son and his feet keep sliding out from under him. He gets 6, pauses, and struggles through 6 more, one at a time. Altogether, he does 5 sets which is the most he's ever done. I'm so proud of him and I tell him what a great job he's doing. Some of the guys glance over at us because while there are other parents with their kids here, none are moms with their sons at the free weights.

He's tired so I let him choose what the last exercise will be. He opts for walking fast on the treadmill even though it gives him a stitch in his side. In the interim, my hubs texts me and asks if I can pick up some chips and salsa. He's home, but he's on his laptop working. He'll be off to Boston on Monday for the entire week. Bleah.

My Saturday Workout

Calorie :   79 CAL
Distance: 1.82 mile
Speed :    6.73 mph
Duration : 00:16:17
112
Set 1 : 30x12
Set 2 : 80x12
161
Set 1 : 115x12
Set 2 : 115x12
Set 3 : 115x12
Set 4 : 115x12
Distance: 0.77 mile
Speed :    2.5 mph
Duration : 00:18:28

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...