Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Insanity Has Its Own Momentum

Well, as much as I'd like to continue logging in 6+ miles daily, I know it's not going to happen. Today I barely squeaked past 6. Admittedly today is actually a Back Day so I don't really have any business complaining about mileage. I've also been going to the gym fasted, having time for just an instant cup of espresso before getting my son packed into the car. I still make oatmeal for breakfast. I just don't get to eat it until I get home again which is usually around 1-2 pm because I'm usually picking up stuff for Cub Scouts, or grocery shopping, etc.

While I'm on the cross-trainer oblivious to everyone because I'm plugged into my iPod and there's a cool show on the SyFy channel about whether it's technically possible to hoist stones into place at Stone Henge with just fulcrums and pulleys. I hear a tiny voice ask "Are you a professional athlete?" What? I look around and there's no one but a middle-age (I overheard her saying she was 60 while we were in the locker room last week) Korean woman on the elliptical next to me. But she's not looking at me so I don't really know if she actually said anything. And I'm not the type to interrupt my workout or anyone elses to find out. Then I hear, "Boy you go so fast." Okay, my pace IS fairly quick. But again, she's looking at her machine so I don't say anything.

I've been modifying my Back Workout to work around issues with my elbows and other joints. After 30 minutes on the cross-trainer, I wander off to the free weight area. M and another old guy are chatting. M has several 45 lb plates on the Trap Bar. No one seems to be using the Olympic bar on the ground but there's a pair of plates on it. I ask the elderly lady sitting in the OHP cage if she knows if anyone's using it. She's 90 yrs old and moves slowly but she's here several times a week, working out with light DBs. She thinks it's been abandoned. I don't want to strip the bar just to reload it with the same weight so I borrow the bar from the Squat rack and use that for my warm up set. No one's in the Squat rack anyway.

When I'm done with all my sets, I'm about to dump the last 45 off the bar when M rushes over to do it for me. I'm surprised. Then I think he must be feeling guilty about leaving it when he moved onto the Trap Bar. I wander over to the benches for a few One-Arm DB Rows. I've decided to cut my reps and up the weight here. Then the Lower Back Extension machine. Although this is taxing to my legs (odd, right?) I'm toying with the idea of trying it with a 5 lb plate next time, upping it from 210 to 215. Part of me would love to move the entire 300 lb stack but I don't think that's ever going to happen. However, I am more than 2/3rds down. Lastly, I do a few Seated Cable Rows. I keep the weight at 90 lbs because I can get 3 sets of 12 reps with very strict form. By the last set though, my elbows are a little cranky even with the V-grip neutral bar. Back for more cardio. I punch in Performance program 3 but somehow miss the signal to Pedal Forward 2/3s through. I must be tired.

I do a limited Mat Stretch, skipping Dive Bomber Push Ups because my shoulders are still a tad sore, and Pistols because I don't really have the Mat space. There are a lot of bodies stretching out now. Out of curiousity, I time my plank and get bored. Planks are sooooo much easier if you don't do them right after sets of push ups! I'm looking forward to whacking the Nexersys tomorrow. But I gotta remember to cut that seam off the fingers of new gloves. My hubs thinks it'll unravel the gloves. Well, better than getting blistered.

Wednesday Back and Cardio Workout
(total weight lifted: 26,350 lbs)

Calorie :   148 CAL
Distance: 3.59 mile
Speed :    7.13 mph
Duration : 00:30:12
232.5
Set 1 : 45x12
Set 2 : 135x15
Set 3 : 155x15
Set 4 : 155x15
Set 5 : 155x15
Set 6 : 135x20
78
Set 1 : 55x10
Set 2 : 60x8
Set 3 : 65x6
315
Set 1 : 210x15
Set 2 : 210x15
Set 3 : 210x15
126
Set 1 : 90x12
Set 2 : 90x12
Set 3 : 90x12
Calorie :   270 CAL
Distance: 2.44 mile
Duration : 00:30:11
N/A
Set 1 : 00:01:30

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...