Friday, January 16, 2015

Yesterday's Kickboxing Fiasco

Thursday I decided, that in spite of my knuckle wounds, I would still try to whack the Nexersys. I brought the big gloves to the gym. Gosh, I really hate them. After 10 minutes of steady state cardio just to warm up, and with band-aids on my knuckles, I donned the huge black gloves and did 5 rounds on the flaky left-side machine. It's so whacked out that I knock the screen blank several times. Unfortunately, this doesn't stop the action and by the time the screen reappears, I've missed several moves. Bummer. There goes Accuracy and Strikes. The motion is actually peeling the band-aids off my hands inside my gloves. Ugh.

Before I switch to the right-side machine, I run back to the locker room and grab some sports tape to wrap over both my hands. Which makes it harder to get my gloves on and off when the machine tells me I'm hitting too hard and I have to reset it by pushing a screen button with my finger. I miss a few moves because of this too. All the left-side pads to this machine are overly-sensitive so my jabs are registering 168%, which is ridiculous. I have to refrain from a full Left Dig and just tap that particular pad. Kicks, however, are hit-or-miss as to whether the machine registers them or not. Meanwhile, the right side of this machine barely registers any blow so a full out cross either scores me 89% Power, or I'm hitting too hard. I can't win. And my knuckles are still being scraped raw. Bleah.

I talk to the gym owner about proper hitting form. He's much taller than I am and was, just that morning, having a go at the machines. "Well, if you hit the pads straight on then you're hitting with the flat of your fist and not really knuckles. I don't have any knuckle bruising. But you're probably having to hit up to reach the Jab and Cross pads. That might be causing your hands to slide inside your gloves." He also recommended that I go to Sports Authority, or Dicks to try on kid's MMA gloves instead of dealing with online stores. I'm not sure I want to trek all the way to Danbury CT. Well, at least I got my workout done. And 8 min of Tabata afterwards. I really didn't think I was going to make it past 5, but once you get to 5 then the little voice in your head says, Well, you can probably do one more. And so on. Until you've actually finished what you set out to do. Cool.

Thursday Workout

Calorie :   96 CAL
Distance: 0.84 mile
Duration : 00:10:13


Nexersys Kickboxing machine
5 rounds Intermediate Follow Me avatar program
  Accuracy 81% / Strikes 99% / Average Power 117%
 
7 rounds Beginner Follow Me avatar program
  Accuracy 83% / Strikes 89% / Average Power 112%
 
8 min HIIT 
Calorie :   73 CAL
Distance: 0.74 mile
Duration : 00:10:00

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...