Wednesday, January 14, 2015

If You Think You Can't, Push Harder

I've got a 1/4" long scab on my left index knuckle. Well, it'd be a scab if it was dried blood, but it's just dried raw flesh where the skin ripped off. I have a smaller, real scab on the index knuckle of my right hand. It's not looking good for me to whack the machine tomorrow, much as I want to, unless I don those over-sized boxing gloves I got from my son's tae kwon do school a few years ago. I looked online for kid's padded MMA gloves. I like having fingers so I'm not looking at boxing gloves, but I'm not grappling either. I just want to punch, jab, knee, elbow, cross, hook and kick.

Today's Selfie
Some of the companies don't provide adequate sizing information so when I post a question asking if kid's gloves might fit me (I'd already read that they are more padded than adult gloves), I get a series of answers, most of them telling me that I don't know how to punch correctly, and none answering my question about sizing. One fellow (and these are all guys answering me) tells me I should be punching with the flat of my fist, not my knuckles. Really? In kung fu and tae kwon do, everyone is told the first two knuckles of your fist is what makes contact. With my boney little hands (I can see the sinews and veins leading from each knuckle over the top of my hands), there's no way I'd ever punch with the flat of my fist. I don't think he means the back of my fist either because that's a completely different strike. Is it me? Answer the stupid question, idiots.

Fitting Room
I'm not sure what to expect at the gym but today is Back and Biceps Day. And cardio. Because it feels too good to pass up. After 30 min on the LifeFitness cross-trainer (I went back to the ones by the front door), I wander over to the free weight area. The place is a mess but there's an Olympic bar free so I know I'm doing RG BB Rows. I have on new patterned leggings I bought last week at Marshall's. They are the same leggings that AM, the woman who teaches the Leslie Mill's BodyPump class, is wearing. They look better on her, mainly because she's taller, with longer legs. I have very short legs so the pants come to my ankles while hers are mid-calf capris. Figures. Oh well.

After RG BB Rows, I do just three sets of One-Arm DB Rows. Just like last week, I up my weight as I cut my reps. I want to get on the Lower Back Extension machine, but it's very popular so I have to wait. Meanwhile, I do 3 sets of Seated Cable Rows, keeping strict form and feeling it down the center of my back. So far my elbows having complained. If all goes well, I'll try doing a few Hammergrip Pull Ups at the end. The Lower Back Extension machine is free, and I move the pin from 70 lbs down to 210 lbs. I have trouble with the first set because the belt isn't tight enough and I pop up to a standing position. I get brave by set three and put a 7.5 lb brick on the stack to make it 218.5 lbs. I get 12 reps and realize that I might be able to do 225 next time. Scary thought! I do a quick 3 sets of DB curls, trying out windmills, then regular curls, then hammer curls. My forearms are so pumped it's hard to do BB curls afterwards. I can only get 3 sets at 40 lbs. I used to do RG BB Curls with 40 lbs! Oh well... time for cardio.

Blue shows my face;
Red shows hand placement
After doing the Interval program for 30 min on the elliptical, I go to the stretch Cage and knock out a set of pull ups. Twelve! Then I do a few sets at the Torso Twist machine before coming back for another attempt at pull ups. Ten is hard, but I manage to get my nose to the bar for 11 and 12. Note: this isn't quite the same as a regular pull up because 1) my hands are facing each other but separated by about 4" and 2) I can't pull straight up because the roof of the Cage is in the way, so I have to pull my chest up to my hands in order to get my chin to the edge. I can't move my hands closer to the edge because even though I'm only about 112 lbs, I'm worried about tipping the Cage over. But I'm real happy, and my elbows don't even hurt. Yaaaay! The Mats are full so I sneak into the empty classroom and do a few crunches, bicycles and pulse-ups. A quick lower back stretch and I'm done. Whew!

Wednesday Pull Day
(the JeFit app calculated 33,602 lbs lifted today; 6.41 miles logged)


Calorie :   149 CAL
Distance: 3.82 mile
Speed :    7.63 mph
Duration : 00:30:07
232.5
Set 1 : 45x12
Set 2 : 135x15
Set 3 : 155x15
Set 4 : 155x15
Set 5 : 155x15
Set 6 : 135x20
82.33
Set 1 : 55x12
Set 2 : 60x10
Set 3 : 65x8
126
Set 1 : 90x12
Set 2 : 90x12
Set 3 : 90x12
315
Set 1 : 210x15
Set 2 : 210x15
Set 3 : 218.5x12  PR!

Windmill : 20x12
DB Curl : 20x12
Hammer Curl : 20x12

Set 1 : 40x12
Set 2 : 40x12
Set 3 : 40x12

Calorie :   294 CAL
Distance: 2.59 mile
Duration : 00:30:10

Set 1 : 115x12

Set 1 : 50x25
Set 2 : 50x25

Set 1 : 115x12

Crunches : 50 Lap/Rep
Bicycles : 50 Lap/Rep
Pulse Ups : 25 Lap/Rep

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...