Friday, January 30, 2015

The New Thing I Tried and Actually Liked

I was unexpectedly awoken at 5 am by the school district's automatic messaging system informing all parents of a 2-hr delay due to weather. Huh? I wasn't expecting any weather. I thought there might be snow in the forecast for Friday evening, and only flurries at that. Instead I spent 45 minutes shoveling 3-4 inches of decently heavy snow from the steps, walkway and driveway. The town snowplow came by as I was just clearing my car, and he graciously sprayed a generous amount of salt at the mouth of my driveway. He's the same fellow I chased after and cursed two years ago after his snowplow walled in my driveway. Luckily, being a tiny Asian woman just means that big guys like him laugh at me shaking my fist at his truck. We did shake hands amicably afterwards though, and he's been quite pleasant every time the snow falls.

I don't get to the gym until 11 am and the messy parking lot is virtually empty. I'm surprised. The cross-trainers are free and I do my routine 30 minutes although I feel a tad more tired, and hence more determined to make my quota mileage. Shoveling for 45 minutes has made my right elbow and shoulder a bit tender so I'm really glad today is Leg Day. I actually just fall short of 4 miles, which is a PR for me on this machine. Yaaay!

The Smith machine is free so I set up for Squats, and then SLDLs. My back is tired from shoveling so I cut the latter short. And then I remember the Smith Single Leg Split Squats. But I don't quite remember where my rear foot/leg should be. My first set is more of a lunge with my back foot on the floor. After I wedge a flat bench behind me as close as I can to the Smith rack, I do the next two sets with my back foot on the bench. I like this much better. Although I'm only using the bar, which amounts to a mere 30 lbs, I can feel my glutes and hamstrings working. When I do Smith Squats, I feel it in my quads, knees and lower back. I don't even know why I do Smith SLDLs because I'm not sure they're working my hammies. I decide to keep the Smith Split Squats and add sets and weight next week. Maybe I'll drop the SLDLs. Maybe I'll drop reps on the Smith Squats too. All I know is that afterwards, trying to do GHRs on the Lat Pull Down machine is really hard. My hamstrings are tired!

The gym is starting to fill up as the temps warm up and the snow melts into a messy slurry. 30 more minutes on the Precor elliptical Performance 3 program and I'm done. I do a quick glute and hamstring stretch before heading off to the shower. I'm happy — I have a new exercise that I like. Yaaay! I have a few errands to do but not enough time. I'm able to buy a new snow shovel and some weatherstripping for the back door, and then try on some clothes at Marshall's. I find a dress I like but I'm not willing to spend what they're asking. Plus the left side of the bronze lace overlay puckers oddly and it doesn't hang right. But it's a lovely dress and I'm tempted to look for another one in my size. Ooops, out of time. Have to get back to meet my son's school bus.

Friday Cardio and Leg Day Workout
(total mileage: 6.47 miles; 11,040 lbs moved)

Calorie :   150 CAL
Distance: 3.96 mile
Speed :    7.88 mph
Duration : 00:30:09
210
Set 1 : 30x12
Set 2 : 80x12
Set 3 : 100x12
Set 4 : 120x12
Set 5 : 140x12
Set 6 : 150x12
140
Set 1 : 30x12
Set 2 : 80x12
Set 3 : 100x12
42
Set 1 : 30x12
Set 2 : 30x12
Set 3 : 30x12

12
Set 1 : 12 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 12 Lap/Rep
Set 3 : 12 Lap/Rep
Calorie :   282 CAL
Distance: 2.51 mile
Duration : 00:30:08

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...