Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Fungus Among Us

Mold has been in the news lately. First, I read about the frighteningly pervasive and potentially deadly yeast, Candida auris, seemingly evolved from an over-reliance on antifungals. Today I read about a different, more common yeast (so common in fact that it resides on most humans in their hair follicles) that may, in fact, be responsible for chronic debilitating gastrointestinal ailments such as Crohn's disease. This fungus, also a yeast, is called Malassezia and might respond to treatments with antifungals. Ugh.

Mostly, when people react to mold that isn't in their cheese, it's due to news reports of hurricane-damaged housing leading to infestations of toxic mold. Black mold (Stachybotrys chartarum) has scared us all with good cause as it can cause severe life-threatening allergic reactions and respiratory distress. But that doesn't mean I don't love to eat sauteed white button mushrooms, or shitakes, or wood ear (the thin black ones you find in Hot & Sour soup). I just draw the line at actually growing them in my basement, because I'd rather not source edibles from a place full of spiders, mice, and snakes (I found the shed skins so I know they're there).

I can smell the mildew on clothes that are not properly dried. (Mildew is actually a type of mold.) I blame the appliance manufacturers. Even my new Maytag dryer requires me to run the heat cycle at least twice before I'm satisfied that the clothes are adequately dry. Using the "moisture sensor" still leaves the clothes and towels slightly damp to the touch. That means they'll start to molder in the closet and dresser drawers.

I have walked past people in stores and had to fight the urge to tell them their clothes were moldy. It would be a public service, but if they can't smell it, then I'm just embarrassing them. Yes, I have a very sensitive nose. Still...

Luckily most people seem to wear clean clothes to the gym. I haven't run into StinkyButt in a very long time. Perhaps that's because I arrive in the morning after dropping my son off at school now. Drastic variations in temperature make the morning commute slightly ethereal as visibility drops to 100 feet due to heavy fog. The air is humid even inside the gym. Yesterday I almost felt as if I were drowning as I gasped for air during the hard parts of HIIT cardio. Today isn't much better and the moisture-laden air means I'm sweating more.

My right elbow and shoulder were a little sore yesterday. Today, my joints only bother me intermittently, mostly during the assorted rowing motions. I was wearing the sneakers I usually reserve for kickboxing, but perhaps that was a mistake because, during RDLs, my lower back bothered me. I also renewed a bruise on my left calve from hooking my leg under the knee pad during Lat Pull Downs. Ugh. I did, however, finish all my sets so perhaps adding extra whey protein to my diet where I can is having a positive effect? I was a bit worried that all it would do was make me bigger.

I know that most people wouldn't mind being a bit bigger, but I feel big enough. Yesterday we went down to the Scout shop to buy my son a new pair of Scout pants for his uniform, and some booklets he needed. I tried on a pair of women's Scout pants. Size 02 is the smallest size and they fit really well, except they need to be hemmed. No surprise there!

The women's uniform shirts were another matter. Size S was too tight in the armpits and shoulders, while size M positively swam on me like my grandmother's housecoat. I wound up getting a size L Youth shirt. That actually fit really well because there's room for arms and shoulders. Yeah, I'm finally getting a Scout uniform because I actually have a position in my son's Troop... I just have to finish all the online training. Ugh.

Super Fog Tuesday Pull

30 min elliptical + 5 cd
Program 2
Calories 326
Miles 2.91
HR 157-196 (87)

Push Ups 60
Crunches Legs Up 30
Bicycles 50
Crunches knees bent 40
Horizontal Scissors 50

Lat Pull Downs
70lbs x 12
85 x 12
100 x 10
115 x 8, 8, 8
100 x 12

Smith RDLs
Bar (30) x 15
80 x 12
100 x 12
120 x 12, 12, 12 (lower back — shoes?)

Smith RG BB Row
80lbs x 25 reps x 3 sets
(Right wrist)

Seated 1-Arm Cable Rows
30lbs x 12 (left golfer elbow?!)
40 x 12
50 x 8, 8, 8
(Right elbow tender to press)

RG BB Curls
35lbs x 25 reps x 3 sets

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer's Gonna Be Unbearable

It was already near 60F when I woke up this morning. Already too freakin' hot! Dogs were panting after a few quick romps through the par...