Friday, December 22, 2023

Post Solstice

Exit road outside the dog park
Yesterday was the Winter Solstice, so technically Winter has begun. It's certainly cold enough and after this past weekend's deluge, there's a lot of icy spots where the runoff has no where to go. The dog park itself is fine, comprised of a steeply angled slope. It's getting from the road to the gate that's a teensy bit treacherous. At least my dogs will enter and exit my car from either side. Older pups are set in their ways and are less flexible. I once had a dog who refused to acknowledge the existence of our second floor and its staircase because she had lived so long without it. It was literally invisible to her even though we and the other dog went up and down it daily.

It's nearly noon by the time I get to the gym, mostly because the long line moved soooo slowly at the CVS where I needed to pick up a Rx. Plus, I've also been making the trek to the post office to drop off my cards and bills instead of relying on the mail carrier who might or might not actually scoop up all my mail from the box.

The parking lot is crowded but the gym is not. There's a few seniors and a smattering of teens. (I'm assuming schools got a half day right before a major week off, because I don't remember anymore how the school holidays work.) I get to do all the routines on my list: cardio, pull-ups, core with push-ups, air squats, walking lunges, and wall squats. And then, because Christmas is Monday and it's one of the two days this gym is actually closed all day, I decided I should push some weights. The other day is Easter Sunday. Yes, the gym is open on Thanksgiving and New Year's, but limited hours for those true gym rats with lots of energy and anxiety. 

I barely make it to 2.9 for cardio and pull-ups are hard after the first dozen. Core is easier and my least favorite movements are still walking lunges and definitely wall squats. There's a few guys in the free weight area. I tap the volume louder on my tunes. I have to rest a bit longer between the second and third (last) set of the DB Shoulder routine, but I feel pretty good when I leave. And that's all that matters.

21 December 2023 11:53-1:44
Arctic Friday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 2
Time: 30+5 (5800)
Distance: 2.90
Cal: 325
Avg Hr: 149, 190-84

HGPU 17

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5 alt/ss = 100
20 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg bridges
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper stretch w side bends & twists
Walking lunges 42 steps total
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 90s

Incl DB Press s/s Lateral Raises s/s Rev Incline Flys
10 lbs x 25/15/25 warm up
15 lbs x 25/15/25
20/15/20 x 25/15/25 x 3 sets

No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer's Gonna Be Unbearable

It was already near 60F when I woke up this morning. Already too freakin' hot! Dogs were panting after a few quick romps through the par...