Thursday, August 7, 2014

Subie Woes

Thursdays I have a bit more time for cardio so I did my 10 min cardio warm up (with 4 min Tabata), a quick Cage Stretch, and then 11 rounds of Beginner Level kickboxing the machine to start. I'm glad it's a good cardio workout because I'm a bit disappointed that I'm no longer busting a sweat doing warm up on the elliptical. My knees aren't bothering me either so I venture to do another 3 rounds at the Intermediate Level. I've forgotten how much faster the combinations come, and how off-balance it can make you, especially when you need to change your stance from a Lead Kick to a Power Sweep. I'm breathing hard when I'm done, but it feels good. I do another 10 min on the elliptical but with 5 min of Tabata. I'm so tired I have a hard time keeping track of how many seconds I need to be On vs. Off.

The Check Engine light on my old Subaru has been on for several weeks since we got the exhaust system repaired last month. I have no choice but to take my son with me to the dealership repair shop in Danbury CT to get it looked at, and hopefully repaired. Again. Hopefully in time to pass the NYS auto inspection. The mechanic has my car up on a lift and I can finally see all the rust and corrosion. It's not pretty. It's downright scary. The fuel vapor filter needs to be replaced but the brackets are so rusted that they're not sure if it can be done. Worse, is that the charcoal filter in front of it might also fail and that can't be replaced because the tow hitch (my husband had it installed on my car some years ago) is mounted directly to the frame and over the mounting brackets for that filter. The mechanic and the service rep show me all the corrosion. There's nothing under the rear bumper because it's all crumbled onto the shop floor. What's really worrisome is the rust on the the rear wheel axles. If those break, the car will suddenly be uncontrollable. They tell me that I should start shopping for another car.

I'm bummed. Last month there were several 2014 Foresters for sale. Now there are none. I ask the service rep about the Check Engine light because it tends to go on if you look at it funny. He says that a steady light is probably okay to ignore, but if it blinks, it's a huge warning. I don't plan to let it get to that state. But I'm going to miss my car. I love the way it handles and accelerates. Oh well, I should probably get my car washed more often. I'm sure the winter road salt didn't help any all these years.

Thursday Cardio Workout

10 min elliptical = 3 min steady state + 4 min Tabata (20 sec On / 10 sec Off) + 3 min steady state
Cage Stretch

Nexersys Follow Me Avatar program
11 rounds Beginner (44 min)
  98% Accuracy / 99% Strikes / 135% Average Power
3 rounds Intermediate (12 min)
  81% Accuracy / 97% Strikes / 96% Average Power

10 min elliptical = 2 min steady state + 5 min Tabata (20 sec On / 10 sec Off) + 3 min steady state

Photos for stats: 



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...