Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Hump the Leg Day

You know you need to change things up when you're more excited about your cardio workout than lifting weights. Actually, I'm more excited by the number of pistol squats I can do at the end of my Mat Stretch. It's time for a change. I just haven't decided what. There is a record rainfall today and I'm expecting there to be a crowd in the cardio area. But there's not.

After my 2 mile cardio warm up, I find the Smith machine neatly vacant. And teenage boys must be allergic to rain because they are also absent. I'm hesitant about the Squats but find that if I adjust my feet so that they are parallel even in a wide stance. The wide stance takes pressure off my hips, changing my footing lessens my knee discomfort. My lower back still feels a bit crunchy though, but I'm getting used to it, especially since I hear it popping while I'm doing mundane things, like putting on my shoes.

I recognize a few regulars like Latin Baseball and Big Glasses Dude. The Smith SLDLs aren't as hard as last week but I'm not sure why. Perhaps my lower back isn't as tired. I think guys are always surprised to see me pull as much weight as I do, especially since I'm one of the smaller members, not including those pesky teen 'tweens or whatever you call 13 yr old boys. 13 yrs old is the minimum age for a member to work out here.

The Seated Leg Extension feels hard this week but I'm only doing 3 sets. Afterwards, I stretch out my hamstrings at the Cage. When I set up a bosu at the Lat Pull Down station to do GHRs, I catch the sour disapproving look of a middle-aged woman on one of the Cybex machines. She might have seen me stretching my leg over my head. She's probably jealous. Not my problem.

A quick set on the Torso Twist machine and then I'm back on the elliptical for 35 minutes. Because my right shoulder feels a little iffy, I cut back on the Dive Bomber Push Ups during the Mat Stretch. I've forgotten to charge my iPod and it dies while I'm logging my last 2+ miles so I plug into my phone for the Mat Stretch. It's hard though because I don't have any pockets and the phone slips around under my waistband. I skip doing planks today, figuring that the crunches and pulse-ups are abs enough. I manage to do the entire length of the big mat with pistol squats and that's one of the few things that makes me really happy.

Tomorrow is a Double Cardio Day, and that I always look forward to. The gym scale reads 110.4 lbs and I'm surprised. Tomorrow I'm also going to drive across the county to test drive a few new Subarus. I'm not actually planning to buy a new car, but I want to know the difference between a 2014 and 2015 Forester, and a Crosstrek which was described to me as an Impreza on steroids. Well, with a description like that, I just have to try it.

Hump Day Leg Workout

Exercise Name
1 RM
Lifting Logs
N/A
Calorie :   96 CAL
Distance: 2.19 mile
Speed :    6.49 mph
Duration : 00:20:00
224
Set 1 : 30x15
Set 2 : 80x12
Set 3 : 120x12
Set 4 : 140x12
Set 5 : 160x12
Set 6 : 130x15
224
Set 1 : 30x15
Set 2 : 80x12
Set 3 : 120x12
Set 4 : 140x12
Set 5 : 160x12
Set 6 : 130x12
189
Set 1 : 75x12
Set 2 : 105x12
Set 3 : 135x12
12
Set 1 : 12 Laps/Reps
Set 2 : 12 Laps/Reps
Set 3 : 12 Laps/Reps
91.67
Set 1 : 50x25
Set 2 : 50x25
N/A
Calorie :   322 CAL
Distance: 2.9 mile
Duration : 00:35:00
12
Set 1 : 12 Laps/Reps
Set 2 : 12 Laps/Reps
50
Set 1 : 50 Laps/Reps
Set 2 : 50 Laps/Reps
Set 3 : 50 Laps/Reps

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...