Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Abbreviated Day Three: Hump Day

We got to the gym at 11 am which is late for me because I let my son sleep in a bit. I'm already hungry by the time I finish my first cardio session. I do 30 minutes on the LifeFitness Cross-trainer instead of 20 minutes because I know I can log more miles in fewer time on this machine. The stretch Cage is only a few yards away so right afterwards I stretch my hamstrings and lower back. I do a set of close grip pull ups, palms facing each other. I get 8 without any problems but I know it only gets harder.

Then I drop down and knock out some push ups. Normally these aren't a problem but today something's awry. By the last 10 reps, my head is throbbing, especially in the soft palate, as if I was suffering from a "brain freeze". I don't know if it's indicative of a sudden spike in blood pressure or not. Because of my glaucoma, I've been advised not to do any movement that raises my IOP (intra-ocular pressure) like head or handstands. I don't do roller coasters either. But push ups have normally not been an issue. Especially since I can usually knock out a set of 50 the first time.

I got more reps on Monday, but I also didn't have a headache from push ups. I alternate between the increasingly more difficult pull ups, and push ups. Still, knocking out 20 reps for the last set is probably intimidating to a lot of the gym bodies. Planet Fitness would definitely kick my butt out of their gym. I'm happy to squeak out the last 8 reps for the last set of pull ups as well.

Inverted Rows
The Smith machine is empty so I decide to try Inverted Rows which are suppose to work one's back. I find it almost as stressful on the elbows as pull ups. But I still attempt three sets of 12 reps. I have a hard time finishing the last set and have to pause twice. The Jefit App is annoying because their database shows Inverted Rows as having a weight component. It's a body weight exercise so this is ridiculous. I see R and chat with him briefly about how he's doing. It must look odd because he's giant at 6'4" and 225 lbs.

After my second leg of cardio, I do a set at the Torso Twist machine and then a full Mat Stretch. I only do two sets of Dive Bomber Push Ups though. I'm in a hurry, and I retrieve my son just two minutes shy of 1 pm. He's watching the latest Scooby Do movie with the Child Care room attendant. She's normally very grumpy, but today she doesn't seem to mind. Maybe because I'm actually on time for a change.

Wednesday Day Three Workout


Calorie :   142 CAL
Distance: 3.46 mile
Speed :    6.86 mph
Duration : 00:30:00
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 30 Lap/Rep
Set 3 : 20 Lap/Rep
Set 1 : 8 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 8 Lap/Rep
Set 3 : 8 Lap/Rep
Set 1 : 50x25
Set 2 : 50x25
Calorie :   174 CAL
Distance: 1.6 mile
Duration : 00:20:00

Set 1 : 12 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 12 Lap/Rep
Set 3 : 10 Lap/Rep
Set 1 : 00:01:02

Set 1 : 12 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 12 Lap/Rep

Set 1 : 8 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 5 Lap/Rep

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...