Thursday, August 28, 2014

Day Four: In Spite of Myself

I really wasn't expecting rain much less the thunderstorms that rolled into our area yesterday evening. But it certainly made today much more temperate. My son and I hit the gym around 10ish and there are a few boys my son's age in the Child Care room. My left hip has been intermittently painful all morning. Must've slept on it funny. Normally this sort of transient pain passes after walking the dog, but not today. I find myself wincing as I try not to limp to the Cardio platform. I even consider not doing my warm up, but that's really not who I am. I'm the one who says, Well, let's see if pedaling on the elliptical will fix this. Maybe pedaling faster?

Going faster is better. I don't get the speed (228 Strides Per Minutes) I normally do for the 4 minutes of Tabata, but I'm happy to be able to do it at all. I'm still having intermittent pain depending on how I stand while I do a light stretch at the Cage. But I don't have any problems whatsoever at the Nexersys. I did modify my workout so that I stayed with 15 rounds Beginner Level. The Intermediate Level contains sweeps and knee-ups, both movements I'm not entirely sure are hip-friendly.

I see a few regulars but I'm not the type to greet anyone while I'm working out. There is a a middle-aged, shaggy-haired guy who has been staring at me for some months now. Today he walks so close behind me that I accidentally bump into him. Automatically, I say "Sorry" but again, I'm not the type to make conversation, or even eye contact. I figure eventually he'll lose interest and fade away into the background.

I'm having a good time whacking and kicking the machine, until the very last round when the machine glitches at the first combo and drops my score from 100% to 50% because the entire screen lights up as if every sensor was being activated. I make all my combos but it's not enough to recover my accuracy score. Bummer. But I know it's the machine, not me.

When I'm done, I get back on the elliptical for 10 minutes and do my 5 min of Tabata. Now I feel good and my hip doesn't bother me so I can get my speed up to 258 SPMs. However, once I'm back in the locker room, I'm back to cautiously stepping with the ball of my foot. Bummer. I'm hoping everything will settle down in a few hours. Or at least by tomorrow.

Thursday Workout 

10 min elliptical = 3 min steady state + 4 min Tabata + 3 min steady state = 0.79 miles

light Cage Stretch

Nexersys 15 rounds Beginner Follow Me Avatar program
  Accuracy 95% / Strikes 100% / Average Power 138%

10 min elliptical = 2 min steady state + 5 min Tabata + 3 min steady state = 0.81 miles

photo for actual stats:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...