Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Super Abbreviated Because There's Other Things to Do

After I got my son settled in the Child Care room at the gym, I had less than an hour and a half to get my gear stashed, do a workout, then shower and change before we headed off to see Guardians of the Galaxy at 11 am. I've learned to pre-tape my right hand (before even getting in the car) which saves me a lot of time, and my knuckles. 10 minutes of cardio, including 4 min of Tabata, gets me warmed up, but I'm not breaking a sweat. Maybe it's the A/C. At 9 am, it's already blistering standing in direct sunlight.

The left Nexersys machine behaves decently except for neglecting to register the first several Power Kicks. After the first round, though, the machine registers mostly everything, and I only get a Warning Buzzer 3 or 4 times in the entire 11 rounds. That's only 44 minutes but I have to make sure I have time to unwrap, undress, and shower. The gym is abuzz with activity again today and people are constantly passing behind me. When I'm done, though, I'm sweaty and feel like I've gotten a decent workout.

There are more people at this 11 am showing than at any other that we've been to. But they don't cheer as much as the audience did for Transformers. For that flick, there were several places where clapping and cheering erupted spontaneously. We did chuckle and laugh a lot at all the jokes. Visually, the movie is colorful and action-packed. During the slower, talky parts, us older folks smile at 70s music from our adolescence. And of course, there are numerous references to other movies and TV shows.

Yesterday, after camp, I took my son to visit a newly established MMA school in town. They agreed to allow my son to participate in a class for his age group to let him experience it. He enjoyed the conditioning work (circuit of punching, kicking, burpees, and battle ropes), as well as the grappling session that followed. It's summer so it was a sparsely attended class with most families on vacation. I also plan to sign him up for Swim school again. My son is an excellent, effortless swimmer (imagine a human jellyfish) and I'd like to see him actually excel at something he enjoys besides video games. I told my husband that increasing my son's activity levels would help with his self-confidence, and maybe the discomfort he's having with his size.

The only problem now is scheduling conflicts because every program for my son's age seems to occur on Mondays and Wednesdays after school, including swim. There's a swim class on Sunday mornings but we'd all like a day to sleep in. In the end, it will probably be decided by the Swim school because classes are small, and we'll get notified as to whether we've gotten our 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice for class time. And then I'll figure it out from there.

Tuesday Abbreviated Cardio Workout

10 min elliptical: 3 min steady-state + 4 min Tabata (20 sec On / 10 sec Off) + 3 min steady-state

Cage Stretch for hamstrings and calves

Nexersys Beginner Level Follow Me Avatar (11 rounds 44 minutes)

  Accuracy 97% / Strikes 99% / Average Power 130%

photo for actual stats:

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...