Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Super Abbreviated Cardio Day

The heat and humidity is kicking my butt. Doesn't help that the gym doesn't run the A/C in the morning, preferring to air the place out first by leaving all the doors wide open. My son and I plan to catch the 11:30 showing of Maleficent so we get to the gym just at 9 am. More kids show up as their moms jockey for space in Zumba or yoga class. I already know this is an abbreviated workout since I have to leave myself time to change and shower.

Right Arm Today
If I do anything close to 1/2 my daily mileage, I'll be happy. My first cardio session breaks down into 5 min of LISS, 4 min of Tabata (20 sec On / 10 sec Off), 6 min Steady State = 1.3 miles. I do a quick Cage Stretch and see B chatting with Island Trainer. I'm sure she's pestering him for advice. I wrap my hands and set up on the far Left Nexersys. I've been dousing my stupid pink kickboxing gloves with fabric refresher to lessen the stink. Online opinions say that washing them destroys them, and I don't want to have to buy new ones. At first the machine doesn't register my Lead (left) Kicks. It's annoying and killing my Accuracy Score. People like to cluster at the main desk which doubles as a coffee and shake bar. It's only a few feet to my left and it's distracting having a gaggle of ancient folks chatting there. I'm afraid I'll accidentally knock one down and they'll break a hip or something.

Left Arm Today
I get better as the rounds progress. I know my face is really pink because it feels hot, my hair plastered to my head and sweat dripping off the end of my ponytail. I almost suck down the entire 1.5 liters of water in my bottle. When I'm done, I check the clock. I have enough time to do a bit more cardio and then shower and change. With so little time I want to make my cardio count so 15 minutes breaks down to 5 min LISS, 5 min Tabata (I'm gasping like a fish and my lungs are burning throughout most of this), 5 min Steady State, logging in 1.32 miles. That's a total of 2.62 miles. Done! I'd do a few crunches but the Mats (there are three of various widths and lengths) are all occupied.

The gym scale reads 111.6 lbs. I'm good with that. I'm going to be hungry later though as I only had time to drink some iced coffee before leaving this morning. My oatmeal is sitting on the kitchen table. I'll eat it when I get back. Cold oatmeal doesn't bother me when it's 86°F outside.

Super Abbreviated Cardio Workout

15 min elliptical = 1.3 miles

Cage Stretch

9 rounds Nexersys Beginner Follow Me Avatar
  Accuracy 96% / Strikes 100% / Average Power 132%

15 min elliptical = 1.32 miles

photo posted for actual stats:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...