Thursday, July 24, 2014

Another Cardio Thursday

When I tape my right pointer and knuckles this morning I suddenly realized that they felt much better. They don't hurt in general, but taping them made them feel positively good. Weird. The proximal interphalangeal joint of my right pointer finger has been tender for some weeks now, making it difficult to do mundane things like pump a spray bottle. I taped it just as a precaution since I've split my kickboxing glove at the seam there. I tape my knuckles to keep from skinning them under the wraps and gloves. I have very small hands, and they get very sweaty when I'm working out.

I was worried that I'd somehow gotten a hairline fracture but the actual finger bones feel fine when I palpate my hand. It's just that one joint. My knees are intermittently wonky. Because I have my son with me, I'm doing my abbreviated workout: 10 min cardio, stretch, kickbox the Nexersys for 15 rounds (60 min), 10 min cardio and just enough time to shower and change. I make a point of incorporating 4 min of Tabata for the first cardio session, and 5 min for the last one.

I always enjoy smacking the Nexersys, but today was frustrating. The machine had half a footpad half on the thick rubber mat and half off, so eventually, with all my blows, it was completely off on the left side. When I was done, it'd moved 4-5 inches in the 10 o'clock direction. This put it in major glare position which made it hard to see the screen. The machine allows you to pause it but it's too heavy for me or any of the ladies at the front desk to move. If you leave it paused for too long, it loses all your data. The machine is also malfunctioning in that the sensors seem to be registering my blows for the combination Power Kick / Jab / Cross, but then drops my accuracy by 20% and registers a big fat zero at the end of the round. I know the sensors work because the screen lights up when I land the blow. What's really odd is that each blow separately will register, just not the combination (which the machine dictates in its programming).

So I had a good workout but left a bit frustrated. Tomorrow is Back and Triceps Day. Yay! Oddly, since I've switched my Leg Day with my Back Day, I've been a bit more sore upper-body-wise. Today, my glutes are actually a tad sore but only when I flex them. Still, I take it as a sign that the GHRs are working.

Thursday Workout

10 min elliptical = 3 min steady state, 4 min Tabata, 3 min steady state = 0.8 miles

Cage Stretch

Nexersys 15 rounds Beginner Follow Me (60 min)
  Accuracy 94% / Strikes 99% / Average Power 139%
*accuracy reading is skewed by machine not registering several combos

10 min elliptical - 2 min steady state, 5 min Tabata, 3 min steady state

glare prevented any decent photos for stats

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...