Friday, July 18, 2014

Smokin' Back and Tri Workout

So my new routine is to use the LifeFitness Cross-Trainer for warm up on days I do upper body lifting, and to use the Precor elliptical on days I'm doing a quick Tabata-style cardio session. I also use the Precor for the 2nd cardio session on lifting days although I do find myself getting vexed with the mileage.

The back of my legs are a little stiff but that's nothing compared to the odd feeling my knees get when I'm sitting too long at my computer. They almost feel swollen, but not painful. Just thick. Very odd. When I get to the free weight area, I see a BB loaded with a pair of big plates and a stack of step-up platforms. Someone's doing deficit deads, but of course they're not actually at the bar. Or anywhere in the area. Of course. It's probably Island Jerk. Jude is back. That's not his real name but he looks a bit like Jude Law, especially with the receding hairline. He's unloading a trap bar so I ask him if he's using the Oly. He's not. Yep, it's the Island Jerk.

I get an Oly down from the Inclined Bench and move stuff around so that I have room to do my lifts. As I'm wrestling a 45 lb plate onto my bar, Island Jerk rushes over to assist. I thank him but I never take my headphones off, and I don't look him in the face. I'm sooo not interested in making any sort of personal contact with him. Regardless of the people, I'm feeling pretty good so I do 15 reps for my first set at 135. And then I do sets of 15 for my 3 sets at 155. I toy with the idea of dropping one set of 20-reppers, but I don't. I guess I ought to up the weight if I can do this many reps.

My lower back is a little stiff. The DB area is too crowded to even consider DB Rows so I get on the Lower Back Extension machine instead. I start with 180 lbs because I'm not sure if my back will handle going higher. But it does. At 195 lbs I drop the reps from 15 to 12. The stack goes to 300 lbs but I don't think I'll be getting anywhere near there anytime soon.

I can finally get a bench but it's a nearly halfway down the rack. I don't mind so much except that people tend to use their DBs right in front of the rack, preventing anyone else from getting equipment. The DB Rows are really hard after doing RG BB Rows, but I'm stubborn, and besides, I've swapped this movement for the V-grip Lat Pull Downs. I lay down on the bench between sets at 65 lbs and my back feels better. I manage to up my reps by one so I'm happy. I think a lot of guys are weirded out by seeing me grab such heavy DBs, but that's their problem, not mine. A few women grin at me. I'm not really sure why though.

I'm still doing relatively light weight with the Rip Crusher (or Rip Skulls) but I certainly feel it so I'm not inclined to changing anything here. The Cable Tricep V-handle Press Down is free today so I'm on it before teenage boys show up and hang all over the equipment. I know I'm taking a chance by starting at 50 lbs, but I figure WTH. I get two full sets, barely and only 8 reps on set 3. So then I do drop sets. I've heard someone call it a Burn Out set. There's a huge difference between 12 reps at 30 lbs, and going to failure at 20 lbs. I get 20 reps on the last set. I'm definitely going to feel this tomorrow, but I should be okay to bench on Monday.

Again, it takes me forever just to log in 2miles on the Precor. It felt good, but I'm not happy with spending over 20 minutes to accomplish it. I like to end the week with a full Mat stretch to forestall soreness and muscle knots. Today the 3rd set of Dive Bomber Push Ups isn't so bad. But the 60 second plank still sucks. At the end, I toss in a set of crunches because I've been neglecting abs lately. I'm wearing a new pair of LLBean fitness pants that I mostly really like. The fabric is soft and comfortable. It's a flattering style although I still had to have them hemmed even though I ordered a Petite XS. My only complaint is this stupid trend to put a zipper pocket along the waist back. It's suppose to hold a key and perhaps a credit card. But I find it annoying because it chafes the back if you lay down. I guess they don't think people who wear fitness pants will lay flat on their backs. I have the same stupid zipper pocket on one of my running shorts. And I have the same issue.

The gym scale reads 112.2 lbs and I'm good with that considering my son's friend and his mom came over last night for a play date. We ate meatball and garlic pizza and drank Ed Hardy sangria with frozen strawberries in it. Well, the boys drank juice and ate plain cheese pizza and munchkins.

Smokin' Back & Triceps Workout

Weight Lifted
32100 lbs

Calorie :   95 CAL
Distance: 2.16 mile
Duration : 00:20:00
Set 1 : 45x15
Set 2 : 135x15
Set 3 : 155x15
Set 4 : 155x15
Set 5 : 155x15
Set 6 : 135x20
Set 7 : 135x20
Set 1 : 180x15
Set 2 : 195x12
Set 3 : 195x12
Set 4 : 195x12
Set 1 : 55x12
Set 2 : 60x10
Set 3 : 65x9
Set 4 : 65x9
Set 5 : 65x9
Set 1 : 15x12
Set 2 : 37.5x12
Set 3 : 37.5x12
Set 4 : 37.5x12
70
Set 1 : 50x12
Set 2 : 50x12
Set 3 : 50x8
Set 4 : 40x10
Set 5 : 30x12
Set 6 : 20x20
Calorie :   226 CAL
Distance: 2 mile
Duration : 00:23:00
Set 1 : 12 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 12 Lap/Rep
Set 3 : 12 Lap/Rep
Set 1 : 00:01:00
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...