Tuesday, July 22, 2014

A Workout Is A Workout

I know that my version of super-abbreviated workout isn't even close to what a normal sane person would do. A normal sane person would just take the day off. But I took the weekend off. I don't count Saturday at the gym because even though my son and I were on the Step Mill, the treadmill and the erg rower, I didn't actually bust a sweat. I coached him through several Cybex machines and then some free weights. Sunday we make the arduous journey to New Haven. Our friends didn't want to spend too long at the restaurant so instead of having a sumptuous dinner there, we had lunch. Of course they didn't tell us that until we met up in New Haven. And we'd already eaten a filling bacon, egg and ciabatta toast brunch.

It was a good thing we'd eaten well. The restaurant didn't seem to be expecting any sort of lunch crowd although several Chinese families arrived after we did. I was quite disappointed in the food, both in the lack of flavor and in the meager portion sizes. The Sizzling Cuttlefish was overcooked, tasteless and chewy. The Ma La Duck was paltry cubes of diced poultry mixed with red, green and hot peppers. Although rated 3 peppercorns out of 5, it only left a faint hint of heat on the tongue. The duck was also overcooked, perhaps leftover from Saturday night's service. Twice-cooked pork was okay, decently seasoned. Only the Mongolian beef had any distinct flavor, sweet and spicy, crisp like tangerine beef (and probably prepped the same way with baking soda). Our friends ordered a mixed fried rice for their sons, but it was bland and flavorless, as if everything (shrimp, roast pork, peas) had been boiled without salt or pepper. I can't recommend it and wouldn't even consider eating there again, although my husband thinks perhaps they're better at dinner. The best part of our trip was visiting the Yale University Art Gallery.

We didn't have time to cover every floor, but we did view the antiquities, European, Asian and African art. My favorite was in the Impressionist collection where two Degas of jockeys caught my eye because of their amazing line work and explosive color. Degas is famous for dancers and portraits. But nothing compares to these two small canvases. Afterwards, we went to Pinkberry and had some frozen yogurt.

Today my son and I were in a rush to catch the 11 am showing of Dawn of Planet of the Apes. When we got to the gym, my son was literally the first child there. I got 10 minutes on the elliptical including 4 minutes of Tabata, a quick Cage Stretch and then 15 rounds of kickboxing the Nexersys machine. Because I'd skinned my knuckle through the wrap and gloves last week, I actually taped my right knuckle and pointer finger before driving to the gym. Then sitting in front of the machines, I donned the wraps and gloves. I'm not even sure how the accuracy is scored anymore because for several rounds, I've scored the blow and still the accuracy rating is less than 100%. When I'm done, I barely have time to unwrap my hands to change and shower. The tape worked well so now I have to add it to my routine.

Super Abbreviated Workout

10 min Precor elliptical = 3 min steady state + 4 min Tabata + 3 min = 0.79 miles, 83 kcal

Cage Stretch

Nexersys 15 rounds Beginner Follow Me (60 minutes)
  Accuracy 97% / Strikes 99% / Average Power 139%

photo posted for actual stats:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...