Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Lemonade

It's been so hot and humid that the gym has been forced to kick on the A/C early in the morning now. I can't get on the Precors so I settle into one of the older LifeFitness cross-trainers, alternating between the stationary and moving handles. After my 2 miles, I wander off to the free weight area because it's Back Day and I normally start with RG BB Rows. Sigh. That Islander Jerk is at it again. He's got a towel draped over one of two inclined benches with weight on that bar. But he's also got three other Oly bars on the ground with different configurations of plates. And DBs. And a yoga mat with an Ab Wheel. WTF? He's not even training anyone. Worse yet, he's somewhere else in the gym. Double WTF? I'm so disgusted I turn abruptly and head off to the DB area and grab a flat bench. I haven't done DB Rows in a while so here's my chance.

I'm a bit hesitant because I can't remember the last time I did One-Arm DB Rows. It's been a few months at least. Where should I start? Am I weaker? WTF. I grab a 55 just to see how it feels. I get 12 reps. Okay, that's not bad. I can up my weight and drop my reps. Turns out I haven't really lost any strength in this at all. Cool! I do a set at 60 lbs, and then 3 sets at 65 lbs. I do remember that's where I was the last time I did these.

Because not doing the Bent Over BB Row spares my lower back, I find doing Lower Back Extensions much easier than I expected. After the first set of 15 reps at 180 lbs, where I've been stuck for some months, I gingerly add a 7.5 lb brick to the stack. 15 reps is easy. So I go to 195 lbs. Not a problem. Wow. I'm happy and surprised. I think not doing Leg Curls has really helped a lot too. Next time I'll try doing all three sets at 195 lbs to see how that feels. Way cool.

Unfortunately, my arms are tired from the DB Rows so the Close Neutral Grip Lat Pull Downs are a bit of a challenge. It was probably finishing with a 20-repper with the 45 lb DB that killed me. I struggle through my sets. Meanwhile, Island Jerk pulls his yoga mat and ab wheel over to the cable station next to my lat pull down. WTF? He's still got Oly bars all over the place but now he's doing Seated Cable Rows? I grab my gear and drop my towel on a flat bench back in the DB area. Then I grab the EZ bar for Rip Crushers. (I know, some people call them Rip Skulls.) These seem harder than usual. I have to pull my hair out of the ponytail because it's dang near impossible to lay flat on a bench with a big knot of hair poking you in the back of the head. Done! Well, not quite. I drop onto a Mat and knock out a few crunches and a set of bastardized Pulse Ups. I like to do them with my upper body curled up and my arms over my face, instead of with my upper body flat on the floor and hands by my hips. It's just easier on my lower back that way.

The Precors are free so I clamber up the cardio platform for my 3 miles. I'm singing along to all my iPod tunes but I'm mindful to sing silently so basically I'm just forcefully mouthing my words. The Island Jerk gets on one of the treadmills in front of me and fist-bumps Mr PJ Pants who is doing his cardio stroll. Later I see Island jerk chatting with The Mayor. I avoid him like the proverbial plague but I don't talk to anyone anyway. I do a full Mat Stretch with Dive Bomber Push Ups, a 60-sec plank, splits, upper and lower back stretches. Really done now.

After I change and shower, I stop by the front desk to complain about Island Jerk. Apparently I'm not the only one. Those women last week weren't his clients. He just tries to coerce women into working out with him. I tell her about all the Oly bars today and last week. She tells me that the gym owner is planning to have a chat with him because of all the complaints. Whew. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has issues with him. Islander jerk reminds me of a guy who tried to chat me up once while I was walking my dog at a local park. I was 15 yrs old but probably looked older. He wanted to hang out and then suggested moving in with me. WTF? I told him it'd be awfully crowded. He sounded confused. I said I lived with my sister, and brother. And my parents. Parents? Then I told him I was 15 and he suddenly stood up and ran away. He was an Islander jerk too.

Back Day Workout

Calorie :   98 CAL
Distance: 2.03 mile
Duration : 00:20:00

Set 1 : 55x12
Set 2 : 60x10
Set 3 : 65x8
Set 4 : 65x10
Set 5 : 65x10
Set 6 : 45x20

Set 1 : 180x15
Set 2 : 187.5x15
Set 3 : 195x15

Set 1 : 75x12
Set 2 : 105x10
Set 3 : 135x8
Set 4 : 135x8
Set 5 : 135x7
Set 6 : 90x15

Set 1 : 17.5x12
Set 2 : 37.5x12
Set 3 : 47.5x11
Set 4 : 42.5x12
Set 5 : 37.5x12
Set 6 : 32.5x12

Set 1 : 50 Laps/Reps
Set 2 : 50 Laps/Reps

Set 1 : 50 Laps/Reps

Calorie :   259 CAL
Distance: 3 mile
Duration : 00:32:00

Set 1 : 00:01:00

12
Set 1 : 12 Laps/Reps
Set 2 : 12 Laps/Reps

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...