Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Humping Leg Day

Today was a little better in that by the time I hit my 2nd cardio session, I was actually sweating. Yay! Most of the time though, I was just a bit damp if I was perspiring at all. The air is loads less humid lately, but thunderstorms are forecast for the next several days starting tomorrow. Go figure.

Today is Leg Day. My lower back seems a tad sore so I'm cautious. I do 2+ miles on the LifeFitness Cross-trainer just to get the kinks out. When I get to the Smith, someone has left the bar face-high (for me) with a pair of 25s. I ask around but no one owns up to it so I strip the bar just so I can lower it to shoulder height. I get all my sets but my knees and lower back complain in alternating fashion. The bug bites I got on Sunday while visiting my cousins are really starting to itch now. I bought some Benadryl® ointment to rub into them because I'm scratching all my bites into bloody scabs. It works okay but I might go back to the hydrocortisone cream.

The SLDLs are also giving my lower back some issues. I get my sets but don't push for more on the heavy set. Instead I drop the weight 10 lbs and do that. My back doesn't hurt; it just feels tired. Maybe a good stretch will help? A quick Cage Stretch and a turn on the Torso Twist machine before I do a few Seated Leg Extensions. The first set is the lightest but always feels the hardest. Then I set up at the Lat Pull Down machine with a bosu and do my GHRs. I can tell it's working my hams and glutes because when I don't contract those muscles, it feels a lot more like a push up. My legs are shaking a little when I'm done. Weird.

It takes forever to get 3 miles on the Precor elliptical, but at least I get a good sweat going at minute 17. Then I start to feel really good. A full Mat Stretch follows with 3 sets of Dive Bomber Push Ups, a plank and lots of splits. When I'm done, I knock out some crunches and pulse-ups just because I feel guilty about not doing much for abs. The gym scale reads 111.2 lbs. It's good. What's not good is me seeing my BF creep up. I can see it! Bleah!

Because diabetes, gout, glaucoma and high blood pressure runs in my family history, I'm a bit concerned about doing anything too drastic with my eating. Obesity does not run my immediate family. There's the misperception that only overweight people develop diabetes or gout. Unfortunately, there seems to be a genetic susceptibility to diabetes in the Asian population. Some attribute this to generations of the white rice diet. Gout runs in both sides of my family and my tall, skinny younger brother is afflicted. I hear it's quite painful. I don't want to find out first-hand.

Tomorrow will be another abbreviated Cardio day. I think I'll drop a few rounds of the Beginner Level and add a few Intermediate ones, just to mix it up. My knee isn't complaining on the Inclines any more so WTH, right? Just do it!

Leg DayWorkout


Calorie :   96 CAL
Distance: 2.23 mile
Duration : 00:20:00
224
Set 1 : 30x15
Set 2 : 80x12
Set 3 : 120x12
Set 4 : 140x12
Set 5 : 160x12
202.67
Set 1 : 30x12
Set 2 : 80x12
Set 3 : 120x12
Set 4 : 140x12
Set 5 : 160x8
Set 6 : 150x10

2 x 25 x 50 lbs
189
Set 1 : 75x12
Set 2 : 105x12
Set 3 : 135x12
Calorie :   334 CAL
Distance: 3 mile
Duration : 00:36:00
Set 1 : 00:01:01
2 x 50
1 x 50

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...