Thursday, July 3, 2014

Feinting Left

It rained buckets last night but it's still hot this morning. The women's locker room is small enough to be comfortably air-conditioned. The gym itself is another matter. The back door is open even though I'm sure the A/C is running. The cardio platform feels hot and humid as I begin my elliptical workout. I can't wonder why or whether I should do Tabata this morning. I just do it. 2 miles takes me a bit over 20 minutes but that includes the 4 minutes of high-intensity gasping like a fish. It takes me a lot longer than 10 seconds to drop my heart rate down to normal, but I think that's the point. Sometimes I'm walking so slowly the machine flashes Pedal Faster.

After a quick Cage Stretch (my vertigo seems almost non-existent today), I wrap my hands and tap in 9 rounds Beginner Follow Me. I realize that punching and kicking too hard is lowering my accuracy rating, but I don't really care all that much. Some of the rounds leave me bent over and breathless for air. It's my own fault for choosing to punch as hard and fast as I do. After 9 rounds, I take a few moments to cool down before deciding how many rounds of Intermediate I think I can handle. Last week I did 3 rounds. Today I tap in 4. During the first round, though, something happens with my left leg and the bottom inside of my knee twinges when ever I raise my knee up. Uh oh, that's not good. But it doesn't hurt when I land a front (lead) kick. It's only the Lead Knee-In that I absolutely can't do because it hurts. I have 3 more rounds to go and everything else feels okay.

I decide to fake the Lead Knee-In with my right knee (Power) but using much less power to tap the center pad on the machine. Playing it safe, I also use my right leg to tap the lower pad for a Lead Sweep. This slows my pace down considerably, and drops my power. But the Accuracy rating isn't horrible, and my knee feels okay after I'm done. While I'm at the machine, people float behind me en route to the far cable station or to the older LifeFitness Cross-trainers behind me. Island Jerk comes by to get something and I can just see him dip low in my peripheral vision, as if he was saying something. Whatever. Luckily, I'm so plugged in and my music is so loud that I can't even hear the angry beeps the machine makes when I stop it by punching too hard.

The moment of truth comes for my knee when I go back to the ellipticals to finish my cardio. I'm worried I won't be able to do the 5 minutes of Tabata. But oddly, my On speeds are even better than the first round of Tabata during warm up earlier today. What bothers my knee is when I raise the incline past 6, so I keep it between 3 and 6 for the remaining time until I hit the 3 mile mark. My knee doesn't hurt otherwise. It does bother me a tad when I drop onto the Mat to stretch out my lower back. I know I still have vertigo when I sit up too quickly and the room spins. And my forearms are sore, not from boxing today, but rather from the One-Arm DB Rows. My back, however, feels fine.

I'm not sure how it's going to fare during Leg Day. But I might have my son with me tomorrow, so that might just be an Abbreviated Workout anyway. My hubs is still in Boston. Testing the new systems isn't going well. Plus, his car is at the dealership shop. It needs a new compressor for the A/C to work properly. If he returns tomorrow (he's car-pooling with a co-worker who lives in Ct.) I'm not sure how he's going to get home.

The gym scale reads 111.0 lbs. I've also finished all my water which hasn't happened in a long time. I dread going outside because I'm freshly showered and dry now. Well, at least the supermarket is chilly.

Double Cardio Thursday

Calorie :   167 CAL
Distance: 2.02 mile
Duration : 00:23:00
Lap/Rep :  13 Laps/Reps
Duration : 00:52:00
Calorie :   249 CAL
Distance: 3 mile
Duration : 00:34:00
photos posted for actual stats:



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...