Thursday, December 20, 2012

I'm not Sick, Just a Little Tired

I'm not used to doing Leg Day on a Thursday but it was pleasant enough because the gym was fairly empty this morning. I hadn't planned to do a full Leg Day as I'm still recuperating from this heinous head cold, but as I've said before, I just love Leg Day. I can't help it. I did my first 35 minutes of gentle hill #6 and logged a respectable 4.02 miles which of course, after I blew all the snot out of my nose, mouth and sinuses, encouraged me to do another 35 minutes of gentle Intervals #7. I figured I could just go easy on the pacing because my lips seemed a bit chapped and I could feel a salty crust forming on my cheek. Imagine my surprise when I looked up to see 4.26 miles on the counter. Wahoo!

I felt pretty good so I ambled down to the Smith machine to do squats. Those were easy enough. It was finally the Dead Lifts that did me in and I could only do 4 sets before tossing in the towel and wandering over to the Cages Stretch. Seated Leg Curls and Leg Extensions followed easily enough. I think I can see the faint curve of Leg Biceps in my profile. Yippeeee. I've always wanted Leg Biceps (hamstrings) because my whole life has been enormous front quads and flat back thighs. It's not attractive, or balanced. The moleskin I had over my lower back scab finally peeled off so I'm wary of doing too many sit ups or kick outs. Today I do a few sets on the Ab Curl Station before heading off to do Mat Stretches.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min hill #6 = 4.02 + 35 min intervals #7 = 4.26  Grand Total = 8.28 miles
Smith Squats: 12 @ bar (butt hitting my heels) / 6 x 12 @ 95 lbs
Smith Dead Lifts: 12 @ bar / 4 x 12 @ 95 lbs (I kept having to readjust my grip every 4-5 reps, and I was so tired by the end of the 4th set I almost felt dizzy as I racked the weights)
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Seated Leg Curls: 3 x 15 @ 90 lbs
Seated Leg Extensions: 6 x 15 @ 52.5 lbs (next time I'm moving the weight up to 60 lbs)
Ab Curl Station: 2 x 50 (upper) / 2 x 50 (lower)
Torso Twist Station: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Mat Stretch

The Mat Stretch feels really good and loose today. In fact, I almost bounce off my hands as I do a modified push up with my legs spread far apart. I like to glide from one stretch into the next as if it's been choreographed because it's easier to follow the music as well as remember the entire sequence of stretches that I've laid out for myself. I see R wander into the gym and suddenly realize that the gym is really crowded now, mostly with teenage boys. M plops herself down on the mat next to me as I stretch, and when I'm done, we chat. There's a bit of joking about tomorrow being the end of the world as per the Mayan calendar. I prefer to celebrate the Winter Solstice instead. But I saw on a friend's FB page a very funny homage to the Mayan prophecy (see above) that I just have to share.

The scale reads 106.4 and I double check just to be sure. That seems awfully light. Not that I'm complaining. Back at home, my own scale reads a solid 105 lbs which is a bit more than the 2.5 lbs I'd consider water-weight compensation. On the other hand, I didn't actually drink my entire 1.5 liters of water today. Still, I wonder how much being sick has to do with this. But I don't wonder too hard. I'll be back at the gym tomorrow, naturally. I'm just not sure what body groups I'll be working. In the back of my mind, I have the thought to do mostly chest/push and perhaps toss in a few pull ups while I happen to be at the Smith machine. It's a thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...