Thursday, December 6, 2012

Can It Be Thursday Already?

I saw the funniest T-shirt in a Wireless catalog the other day. It made me laugh out loud, but not enough to actually purchase the item: After Monday & Tuesday even the calendar says W.T.F.

It's Thursday and there's a slim chance my husband and I will make it to kickboxing tonight. I say slim because he's taking tomorrow off to go to a Practical Primitive seminar on making fire from scratch, much like those survival shows on Discovery Channel. This means he may be swamped with work until the wee hours today.

I'm a bit tired from Leg Day so I wasn't surprised that I only got 4.95 miles today. It's the 2nd Push Day so I did reps on the Smith for bench presses, stretched at the Cage and did a few kicks, but being the gym rat junkie that I am, I still did delts with the 20 lb dumbbells. Today however, I decided to change the rear delt exercise from Seated Inclines to Bent Overs. The feel is different so I know I'm working a different part of my rear delts. It's a small movement.

After warming up triceps (yeah, as if they weren't warm already) with Dumbbell Extensions, I decide to do a million sit ups and kick outs. Okay, not a million. Maybe a 150. Because I switched from the cardio mix back to Billy Idol and he really makes it fun doing abs fast and furious. Then I do Decline Benches. There's no one there but the moment I get one set in (with just the bar), some guy is waving a hand in my face. What? I have to unplug and stare at him a moment before I can figure out what he's asking. "How many sets do you have?" "Uh, like six." "Oh, that many?" "Uh, sorry."

I plug back in and go about my business. When I'm done, I wipe down the bench. I debate with myself as to whether I should tell him the bench is free, but he can damn well see that for himself. The gym's not crowded today and I don't feel like being friendly with him. I've seen him before, a middle-aged guy who chats with a lot of the regulars. He's in fair shape (not an athlete, and not a beer-gut spud). Still, I have nothing to say to him. I see R and wave Hi before I go to my Mat Stretch. I like doing the stretches: it's a bit like dancing, especially with the right music. And I'm quite pleased that my splits are improving with daily practice.

Today's Total Workout:
45 min cardio = 4.94 miles
Smith Bench: 12 @ 45 (bar) / 4 x 25 @ 95 lbs
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Front and Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Rear Bent-Over Dumbbell Raises: 6 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Tricep Dumbbell Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: about 150
Lower Ab Kick Outs: about 100 (I stop before I get another rug burn)
Decline Bench: 25 @ 45 (bar) / 25 @ 65 / 2 x 23-25 @ 85 / 20 @ 65 / 25 @ 45 (bar)
I manage to get to rep 23 before I have to put the bar back on the stays, take a breath and then squeeze out another 2 reps. This happens twice and I start lowering my weights before I completely fatigue.
Mat Stretch

from Gymper.com
I see M in my peripheral vision but I'm not in any position to say Hi to her as she moves from cardio to stretch to Good Mornings with a light barbell. I've never done Good Mornings because they smack of lower back injury to me. (Yet I'll do Dead Lifts!) I see R and tell him that the preacher curls he was doing a few days ago were pretty damn impressive. He tells me that he used to lift heavier, but now he thinks he's much stronger. We get into a discussion about whether being bigger makes one stronger, and he recounts how his training was different when he played football. He was also nearly 275 lbs.

The scale reads 108 lbs. I'm okay with that. I know there's a few pounds of water there. At the grocery market, I have to produce ID to purchase a six-pack of Angry Orchard hard cider. The cashier looks at my drivers license and remarks that "That wasn't what I was expecting!" referring to my biological age. I murmur that losing 20 lbs will do that for you, and smile sweetly.

When I get home, the scale reads 105.2 lbs with comparably lower body fat and muscle percentage, but with a slightly higher TBW. Again, I'm always a bit perplexed by these readings. Tonight is kickboxing. I hope I can stay awake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...