Monday, December 3, 2012

Post Meatfest Blues

from IronWorkout.com
As always, we had an over-scheduled weekend that culminated in a "Meatfest" on Sunday. Yes, that would be a Sunday afternoon of nothing but grilled meats, and some grilled corn on the cob (wrapped in tin foil with a pat of butter and a sprinkle of Old Bay seasoning). We started with store bought Tony Roma® Ribs baked in the oven while the coals got hot. Then we grilled lollipop lambchops, boneless pork chops and rib eye steaks. The boys also got macaroni and cheese with their meat, and plenty of CapriSun SuperV (fruit and vegetable juice drinks) while they played Kirby on the Wii. We savored the subtle smooth flavor of Saranac Ginger Beer with our guest spiking his with a shot of Kraken Spiced Rum. Dessert was individual bags of mini-Oreos, NutterButters and ChipsAhoy Cookies.

Needless to say, I felt like a slug this morning even in the unseasonably balmy weather. Plus I still have menstrual cramps, which is unusual because normally, I barely notice my periods. Well, at least my lower back doesn't hurt even though my breasts feel tender and achy. 45 minutes gets me 4.95 miles but at least I've worked up a semi-decent sweat. (Nothing is ever as good as Leg Day but Leg Day is coming!)

Today's Total Workout:
45 min #6 hill = 4.95 miles
Smith Bench Press: 12 @ bar / 12 @ 95 / 3 x 10 @ 145 lbs / 12 @ 125 / 12 @ 105 / 25 @ 95 lbs (Even though today is a Heavy Bench day, I still like to end the session with lots of reps. Reps certainly haven't hurt me. If anything, I feel they've been critical in adding strength and endurance to my upper body)
Cage Kick & Stretch
Front & Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs (I rest maybe 45 seconds between exercises)
Lateral Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Seated Rear Inclined Dumbbell Raises: 5 x 15 @ 20 lbs
One-Arm Tricep Dumbbell Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: about 125
Tricep Press Downs: 12 @ 40 lbs / 11, 8, 8 @ 50 lbs / 10 @ 40 / 12 @ 30 lbs (my abs don't contract oddly this time so I'm fairly confident that my triceps are actually stronger even though I can't quite finish the set properly, but I keep my form intact)
Mat Stretch

from Hellosixpackabs.com
Last week I felt a twinge in the outer pectoral where it meets the arm pit when I did pull ups. The high rep sets of Decline Presses didn't help either. This week I've decided to baby that area because there's some sort of weakness there that is prone to injury. I've felt that twinge before and I don't want to stop working out because I've ignored a major warning sign. Sooo, no dumbbell inclined presses either. Or flyes. Besides, I think my chest looks pretty good as is. But I'll need to post a photo to prove it.

B has finally come back to the gym after a month off and she complains that she's fat, her clothes are too tight and feel like sausage casings. I laugh at her. She doesn't look fat, although her arms could use more tone. The important thing is that she's back at the gym to work out.

The scale reads 111 lbs which isn't horrible considering how much I ate all weekend. When I get home, the scale reads 107.8 and I look up my past readings. I find another 107.8 entry from last month and compare details. Everything seems within range. B and I meet at the supermarket and we browse the latest Muscle & Fitness Hers because there is a section where readers can send in their own stories. We laugh at the 50 year old "transformation" who dropped 10 lbs, not because we're mean, but because the only reason we think she's in the magazine is her double D cups.

Tomorrow is Back and Biceps. I'm not sure if I'll do pull ups. Maybe Lat Pull Downs aren't so bad after all. My back certainly looks pretty good these days, but again, I'll have to post a photo to prove it. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...