Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Eve Workout

I should've known from the crowded parking lot what kind of day it would be. The gym was miserably full even though I made a point of trying to arrive at my normal time. The supermarket promises to be worse as everyone gets ready for the New Year celebration tonight. (We'll be eating leftovers and going to bed early. I guess this is what happens once you have kids.) I did get on my favorite elliptical, but because I had waaay too many things planned for today, only put in 35 minutes, managing a decent 4.04 miles. I saw B, and Mo as well, and we all exchanged holiday greetings.

from pumpjunkies.com
Working each body part only once last week doesn't really work for me. I realized this today (again) as I bench my standard 3 sets at 145 lbs, feeling weak and puny. I do manage to finish strong, knocking out 25 reps at 95 lbs. Perhaps I just wasn't warmed up enough. I do feel stronger later in the workout and under normal circumstances, I'd also do sets on the Decline Bench.


Tricep Press Down from womenshealth.com
Dumbbell (DB) exercises for deltoids and triceps are routine. I do abs just because I haven't done anything all weekend except eat, drink and sleep. My moment of truth comes when I do my final exercise: tricep press downs and I manage to do nearly perfect sets at 50 lbs. Yay!

The mats are all taken by "high schoolers" lounging as they struggle with leg lifts and planks, so I move into the hallway with a portable mat. It's thicker and spongier than the regular mats which means I tend to bounce off them when I push up too hard from a kneeling position into standing. I can't wait until school starts and all these guys are gone. Really. I don't begrudge them for working out, just for working out where and when I am.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min #6 hill = 4.04 miles
Cage Stretch & Kicks (because the Smith is busy)
Smith Bench Press: 12 @ bar / 12 @ 95 / 3 x 10 @ 145 lbs / 12 @ 125 / 12 @ 105 / 25 @ 95 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: about 100 (I'm getting vertigo from the movement and suspect my sinuses aren't as healthy as I thought)
DB Lateral Raises: 6 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Rear Inclined Seated DB Raises: 6 x 15 @ 20 lbs
One-Arm DB Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Torso Twists: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: about 100 (this time I don't get vertigo)
Lower Ab Kick Outs: about 100
Tricep Press Downs: 12/12/11 @ 50 lbs (I can only use the V-bar handle doing this otherwise there's too much stress on my wrists)
Mat Stretch

The scale reads a whopping 111.4 lbs and my pants feel a bit snug about the abdomen and hips. Yep, it's coming.... In spite of the holiday, the gym will be open tomorrow for all those who want to get a jump on their New Year Resolutions, and for those of us who are just too compulsive to stay away. Good. I need to get back into my routine because I don't like feeling weak and bloated although I may keep my cardio down to just 30 minutes. I'm worried that I'll wear myself out and pick up some of the nasty bugs going around. Blech! I've been meaning to get a flu shot but haven't gotten around to that either.

Tomorrow's Back and Biceps. Yay! Tomorrow we'll also be visiting friends who've been promising to make Beef Wellington. Last we were at their house, we were treated to homemade spicy beef jerky and sausage lasagne. Hmmm. Maybe I should keep cardio at 45 min after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...