Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Hard Work Pays Off!

We went to Cardio Kickboxing last night even though I was so tired I thought about napping during my son's tae kwon do class. Miraculously, I felt wide-awake during kickboxing. Of course, I skipped all the running and jumping stuff, saving my knees by doing deep knee-bends instead. Then we got to wail on the heavy bags. My favorite part, of course, was alternating a series of punches with push ups because I managed to spring up before my husband did. He was timing himself against me and we had a lot of fun.

This morning my butt and shoulders were a tad sore, but not enough to keep me from doing Leg Day. The first 35 minutes got me 4.04 miles and the Interval set got me an additional 4.35 miles. It was great! I had inadvertently reset my iPod to shuffle my cardio mix and that uncertainty as to what song was next really helped kick everything into gear. My Squats sucked today though because my right knee kept twinging as I readjusted my footing for each set. The Dead Lifts still aren't any easier either. The Cage Stretch is easier, and I tossed a few kicks but didn't go crazy.

When I got to the Seated Leg Curls, B came over to chat and say Bye for now. So I was pretty cooled down by the time I actually got to do any sets. Because I don't want massive legs, I only did 3 sets of 15 reps at 90 lbs, trying very hard not to slam the weights into the machine. Leg Extensions are always another story. There was a 7.5 lb bar on the weight stack so I left it there and did my 6 sets of 15 reps at 52.5 lbs. I'm so lazy! That really was the only way I was ever going to up my weights on that particular exercise!

Today's Total Workout:
35 min hill = 4.04 + 35 min intervals = 4.35 Grand Total 8.39 miles Yippeee!
Smith Squats: 12 @ bar / 6 x 12 @ 95 lbs
Smith Dead Lifts: 12 @ bar / 6 x 12 @ 95 lbs
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Seated Leg Curls: 3 x 15 @ 90 lbs
Seated Leg Extensions: 6 x 15 @ 52.5 lbs
Mat Stretch

I'm toying with the idea of chinning myself on the Smith bar because it can certainly hold more than I weigh. Perhaps Friday I'll actually try and do it because the Cage doesn't have a good straight bar I can do pull ups on properly. The scale reads 107.8 lbs and I'm mildly surprised. I guess this really was a lot of menstrual water weight after all! But I am bigger so go figure. (My home scale reads 106.2 lbs. with slight drops in BF, muscle and bone. I am never going to figure out why.)

I get into a discussion about little boys and braces with a few ladies in the locker room. They suggest hydrogen peroxide to help with my son's inflamed gums. Afterwards, one of them, an overweight gym newbie gushes at me, "I want to tell you that I am in total awe of you. You have such a great body!" Wow. I'm flattered and tell her that consistency is the key. Just keep working out! She tells me she gets intimidated at the gym. I tell her to plug in an iPod and the rest of the world be damned. Yeah, I'm so not a social person. But I'm very pleased to think that women at the gym see me and are inspired to work out. Now if I can just get my act together to get some photos posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...