Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Post-Holiday Workout

I got to the gym even later than I did Monday. First I had to clean the dishes in the sink so that I could get coffee started. Then I had to feed and walk the dog. Then my son woke up and he never has enough sense to put socks or a sweater on, but at least he asked for breakfast. Chocolate Lucky Charms. And milk. Then I made myself oatmeal (put 1/2 cup water in a large bowl with 1/4 cup quick oats, dash of salt and some freeze-dried diced bananas, cover with wax paper and nuke for 3 minutes) to eat with my coffee while I defrosted the car and refilled the bird feeder. Then my husband woke up. Then I got myself dressed in my gym gear, packed my bags and finally, I was off!

Today's Total Workout:
45 min = 4.98 miles (I started sweating at 20 minutes but by 30 minutes, I'm having trouble keeping my pace up past 190 strides per minute)
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 lbs / 12 @ 105 / 3 x 10 @ 120 lbs
(B comes over to chat for a few minutes and I completely lose my momentum)
Lower Back Extensions: 2 x 25 @ 90 lbs
(I was feeling awfully lazy today)
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Lat Pull Downs: 12 @ 90 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 105 lbs (the gym is so crowded today that I never get a chance to consider doing pull ups at the Smith machine)
Bent-Over Barbell Rows: 15 @ 65 / 6 x 15 @ 70 lbs
(well, at least my biceps look good doing this)
Alternating DB Hammer Curls: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Concentration Curls: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: about 125
Lower Ab Kick Outs: about 100 (I put a moleskin over my bruise but by this movement, I'm not sure where that protective cushion is so I limit my count to 100)
Reverse Grip Barbell Curls: 3 x 20 @ 40 lbs (this actually feels easier as much as I grimace)
Mat Stretch

I sucked down my 1.5 liters of water before I'm done and wonder if the sporadic dizziness I've experienced all morning are actually just a symptom of dehydration. Or another sinus infection. By the time I'm showered and changed, I no longer get the passing waves of vertigo so it must be dehydration. I saw B briefly. She and I both agree that the holidays wreak havoc with our carefully scheduled routines. When I don't come to the gym, I'm never sure if I've drunk enough water, or gotten enough protein and other nutrients.

The scale reads 109.0 lbs and that's okay. Yesterday was Christmas and while we didn't feast, we did eat wonderful things like pork and cabbage dumplings, sauteed pea shoots, brisket, spinach and egg noodles, and Chinese tamales (zongzi) which are delicious bundles of short-grained rice bundled with meats, peanuts, chestnuts or maybe just Chinese sausage, all wrapped in bamboo leaves and boiled. I like to swirl a bit of spicy Sriracha sauce on them.

I was going to purchase tickets next door for an afternoon showing of The Hobbit in 3D but the weather forecast is ominous with a winter storm watch. Instead I run quick errands to the supermarket, drugstore and tailor before finally making it home. So I can do laundry, clear out the kitchen sink and finally make use of two bags of not-quite-stale bread.

My bread pudding with raisins
I've never made bread pudding before but the recipe appears simple (i.e., foolproof). I toss in a 1/4 tsp of cardamom just for fun. That aroma always reminds me of my grandmother. Then I notice that there are several bananas that are quite past spotty. I guess I'll be making banana bread as well. My grandmother's recipe, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...