Monday, December 17, 2012

Routines for Sanity

It's the week before the Christmas holiday and no one can celebrate, not with the enormous shadow of grief hanging heavy in our hearts. Still, it's important for us, especially those of us who are parents, to maintain the normalcy of routines for our children's sakes. My son fell asleep last night in my arms, whispering to me that he was afraid to go to school. There will be a policeman stationed at the front entrance of every public school in Putnam County, as far as I know. It serves as reassurance, and also as a deterrent to any would-be copycats. Already the hoaxers have begun their cruelty with whispered threats to churches and schools.

I couldn't stay home as much as I wanted to, and not just because of the grief I feel for all those senselessly lost. Apparently, I've been sick (and too busy to notice) until Saturday morning when the full extent of a sinus infection made itself known in nasty, vivid phlegmy congestion. I "rested" over the weekend, but opted to come to the gym for a "light" workout today. Just to clear my sinuses and maintain the routine of a school day.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min = 3.86 miles (pathetic, but it did get me warmed up)
Smith Bench Press: 12 @ bar / 12 @ 95 / 3 x 10 @ 145 lbs (just barely!) / 12 @ 125 / 12 @ 105 / 25 @ 95 lbs (I did feel better after the very last set but that's probably the adrenaline pumping, drying my sinuses and making me feel like a human being again)
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 6 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Bent-Over Dumbbell Raises: 6 x 15 @ 20 lbs
One-Arm Tricep Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 20lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 150 (I counted)
Lower Ab Kick Outs: 125 (I counted, and still have moleskin over my scab)
Mat Stretch

The scale reads 109.4 lbs. The home scale reads (an hour later) 106.8 lbs. I have laundry to do, dinner to figure out, and my son once again needs to go to the orthodontist because he's popped the wire on his braces. Again. Yes, life goes on. I won't even make it to the gym tomorrow because his class is having their Holiday Around the World presentation and I promised him I'd be there. I wouldn't miss it for anything. Not even the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...