Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Defining Addiction

It's Back and Bicep day and I'm pretty happy going into the gym even though the fog is so thick I'm driving through cotton balls. I barely squeak past 5 miles after 45 minutes of cardio but I feel warm and sweaty. Seated Cable Rows feel pretty good and I get my heavy sets done without much fuss. The old dude I call Hannibal Baggy Knees hovers about, but I'm careful to avoid eye contact. I'm such a Not a Social Person.

I see B today and she's all complaints again about how fat she's gotten and how much strength and tone she's lost. She complains about her elbow bothering her and never healing after all these weeks, but of course, she hasn't done anything at all to help mend that injury either. Rest itself isn't enough in a joint that is constantly being used even for ordinary everyday things.

Finally I reprimand her with "If you're not going to do the exercises for your tennis elbow, and you're not going to work out at home, then stop complaining. What do you expect?" Later I tell her that it's my belief that at some point we'll be unable to make muscle because our bodies will be too old but no one knows exactly when that point is, so we should work out and make as much muscle as we can while we can. She agrees that she complains too much. Finally. The adage "An addict is someone who does the same thing over and over again, expecting different results." B's addicted to complaining, hoping that her body will respond differently each time.

Today's Total Workout:
45 min cardio = 5.02 miles
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 / 12 @ 105 / 3 x 10 @ 120 lbs
Lower Back Extensions: 2 x 25 @ 90 lbs
Cage Stretch & Kicks (no pull ups today)
Lat Pull Downs: 12 @ 90 / 3 x 12 @ 105 lbs
Bent Over Barbell Rows: 15 @ 65 / 6 x 15 @ 70 lbs (I love this exercise!)
Alternating Bicep Hammer Curls: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Concentration Curls: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Reverse Grip Barbell Curls: 3 x 20 @ 40 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: about 125
Mat Stretch

from hippie.nu
I see R today and he is wickedly scary at the Curl Bench with a pair of 45 lb plates on an EZ curl bar. I take a moment to stare admiringly because damn he's strong! but I don't linger. I don't even say Hi although I probably should. It's so hard to get out of myself sometimes and interact with others around me.
from supplementreviews.com

The scale reads 109.2 lbs and then I run off to do errands. My home scale reads 107.4 lbs and I still have my period. I twist around and look at my back in the mirror and note that I can really see the erector spinae and trapezius muscles. They look thick and ropey. Even I'm impressed! B has offered to take photos of my back at her home. She says the best way to take photos is when actually performing the exercises. I may have to take her up on this!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...