Friday, December 21, 2012

Happy Winter Solstice!

from angeliska.com
It was raining so hard this morning that the trees were blowing sideways. I was surprised to see that the "birdseed and peanut-butter-covered pine cone" bird feeder my son made at the Cub Scouts Holiday Party last night was still attached to the tree. (Of course, by the calm afternoon, squirrel bandits had made off with it.) I know there was a tornado watch for the southern states, but still, I was happy this this was only rain, and not snow.

Today's the Winter Solstice and it's also the end of a very long week. TGIF. Because I'm still moderately sick, I keep my cardio down to 35 minutes. I'm feeling less than energetic so the paltry 3.89 miles is good. Not great, but not horrible. I'm dripping sweat off my chin as I head to the Cage Stretch. The Smith machine is busy and I'd rather stay warm by kicking and stretching. By the time I'm done, the station is empty and I set the bench the way I like it.

trapezius muscle
Today's my 2nd Push Day so I'm only doing reps on the bench. Afterwards, I position the bar over my head and do a few pull ups. I get as far as 6 before the bottom of my right elbow complains, and I feel a very slight twinge in my right front delt. That tells me No Front Dumbbell Raises today but it doesn't stop me from doing 6 sets of Lateral Raises. Then I do 6 sets of Bent Over (chest in my lap) Raises for the rear delts. Then I go back and do another 6 pull ups. It's easier this time but I'm very conscious of my form since I'm facing a mirrored wall that's only 5 feet away. Hey, my lats look pretty good at this angle!

While I'm working delts, I notice a woman doing shrugs with 25 lb dumbbells. I see a lot of people doing shrugs lately but I can't fathom why they would want big trapezius muscles. I don't do shrugs. My traps get plenty of exercise doing other things like Dead Lifts (because I pull the bar up to my chest).

Today's Total Workout:
35 min cardio Precor #1 (not my favorite) gentle  hill #6 = 3.89 miles
Cage Stretch & Kicks
Smith Bench Press: 12 @ bar / 4 x 25 @ 95 lbs
6 Pull Ups
Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 6 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Bent-Over Dumbbell Raises: 6 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Dumbbell Tricep Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
6 Pull Ups
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125 (I counted)
Tricep Press Downs: 12/11/9 @ 50 lbs (okay, now I'm completely spent)
8 Pull Ups (okay, noooow I'm completely done! really!)
Mat Stretch

I drain my water bottle before I even get to the Mat Stretch. R wanders in, looking pained and tenuous, but he smiles and says he's fine when I ask him how's he's doing. Happy Winter Solstice I say, and we both agree that the gym is too crowded and nasty in the afternoons when it's peopled by the college/h.s. crowd. Have a good holiday. I don't see too many other regulars today. The sun seems to have come out momentarily so everyone's probably busy with last minute errands.

The scale reads 107.4 lbs (which will translate later to something like 105 lbs give or take) and I feel pretty good. The right lat spasm/injury I was worried about on Wednesday never materialized so inspite of being tired and a bit stiff, I'm fairly content. In the locker room, D, a woman who comes mostly for yoga and running, gives me a small gift of hand-made candles.

"Oh, I didn't bring any gifts for anyone today," I tell her apologetically. "Oh no! This isn't a gift. Just think of it as one of 26 acts of kindness." And I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...