Thursday, August 13, 2026

Sciatica is Becoming a Problem

I finally made it to the gym but since I already had too much to do, it was an abbreviated session with just cardio, pull-ups, and stretch time in the Aerobics Room. My sciatica is getting worse, maybe due to inactivity, so I made an effort to do the important movements, but even those hurt in unexpected ways. 

Cardio on the elliptical was painful, with a sudden awareness of a new soreness at the back of my thigh just behind the knee as well as a persistent lower back ache. The big toe, right outer ankle and calf intermittently tingled and burned or buzzed numbingly. Overall, extremely unpleasant and it shows in the loss of distance and steps in the same 35 minute session I've been doing for years. 

Pull-ups were barely tolerable and I didn't have time for the step machine. I skipped really painful movements in the Aerobics Room, so no Dead Bugs or Bird Dogs, and today I even skipped Push-ups because the normally benign Air Squats were also exacerbating my sciatica. That's new and a tad alarming. It feel like the condition is progressing, and I'm now contemplating which office of the neurosurgeon will be easier to drive to, because sciatica makes driving itself rather challenging. 

I had a chance to see Les Mis as performed by the Hudson Valley Shakespeare company this evening, and eat at the newly renovated Folio farm-to-table restaurant. It was quite lovely, and although I wasn't familiar with any of the music or lyrics sung at the performance, I quite enjoyed the fantastic vocal talent, the costumes, and ingenuous set design. Unlike movies or television, live performances require a 4-dimensional creative simplicity unmatched by green screens and special effects. 

I could follow the storyline only because I'd watched the original b&w 1935 movie Les Miserables when I was a child. (The musical version is a lot closer to the actual book than this old movie.) Later, we had a discussion about the historical framework of Les Mis, with me stating that this obviously occurred in the 1800s due to the costumes and the lack of any mention of a king. My friend, who actually lived in Paris for several years and has seen Les Mis at least 8 times, said she just assumed it was during the French Revolution. Good grief. Sorry, that's a facepalm moment showcasing how oblivious people can be... 

Meanwhile, I have taken my dog in for a visit to a new vet to assess that worrisome bump on his ribcage. The vet agreed that it seems too solid to get any material from a needle biopsy so blood was drawn to assess the dog's suitability for sedation and x-rays. He's scheduled for that procedure next week. I'd like this to be nothing but a benign bony growth. It could be an embedded lipomas (aka infiltrative) but that seems unlikely. I'm hoping it's nothing, but since it's bigger than I first noticed it, it's something. 

An interesting aside: on the records from our previous veterinarian, our pups were rated at 2.5/5 and I was immediately concerned. We all assume that this works like most ratings, with 5 being the highest and the best (a 5-star rating) and that "1" is awful. I had to look up the veterinary standards to discover that actually, 2.5 is perfect. Perfectly in the middle, where 1-2 is weak, emaciated, malnourished and 4-5 means overweight, flabby, etc. I felt a lot better after that. But the one dog is still scheduled for x-rays next week. 


12 August 2026 12:54-2:06
Abbrev Sciatica Wednesday
HVSF Les Mis

Precor elliptical #1 (1:32)
Program #1
Time: 30 + 5 (5092)
Distance: 2.69
Cal: 289
Precor HR: 141. 184
Google Health: 46-129
(Foot numb / calf clenched / back thigh starts at knee moved up to glute)

HGPU 15
Sciatica makes this really painful

Mild A/C in the Aerobics Room!
20 Piriformis/Hip flex (1:47-2:06)
15 Hamstring / nerve flossing
Skip Dead Bugs too painful
50 crunches x 2
12 Piriformis stretches
Child’s Pose
Cat/Cow stretch 12
Child’s Pose
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Arm rotations 20
Skip Push-Ups 26
Air Squats 25 (sciatica!)
Neck Stretch / eye yoga


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sciatica is Becoming a Problem

I finally made it to the gym but since I already had too much to do, it was an abbreviated session with just cardio, pull-ups, and stretch t...