Thursday, September 15, 2022

Sore Shoulder Workout

There was no line at the pharmacy window when I went to pick up one of my glaucoma meds yesterday, so I asked them if they had the covalent shot. They did. So I got my second booster and a flu shot literally an hour after I'd finished at the gym. Unusually, the first shot made my arm sore immediately. And the second shot didn't help. Neither were painful, but I could feel soreness radiate from the injection site on the medial delt. (Yes, I made sure to wear a tank under my button down for easy access.) 

I get a flu shot every year because I'm the person who has the most awful reaction to the mildest flu (like the Russian or Taiwan variety). I had a booster last December and I attribute that to the mild symptoms I experienced after my son got me sick right after the winter school break. I've been waiting for the covalent booster because it targets the most prevalent variety currently circulating in our area. Some of my friends are "elderly" and I exercise in a gym full of seniors. I don't want to be responsible for someone else's serious illness. I also don't want to get sick, and genetics is a crapshoot. My brother's gotten seriously ill more than once. My immune system is probably better than his, but by how much? I dunno and I don't really want to find out the hard way.

Normally after a shot, I feel a pinch and mild soreness the next day. Unlike yesterday when I thought I could feel the fluids being injected! Resulting in immediate soreness! Maybe it was because I had exercised a few hours earlier? And why do we get sore from these injections? I've had shots where there were no side-effects whatsoever. Besides the response from the immune system to the "intruder alert foreign substance detected," there is also the amount of foreign liquid being injected into the muscles. I don't normally get two shots at once so yesterday was the exception. And I'm not sure why the deltoid is the muscle of choice for such shots either .

Which leads me to today's workout. A sore shoulder doesn't impact the cardio portion. Thank goodness I did pull-ups yesterday! The only time the shoulder bothered me was during the core and stretching part of my routine, especially Bird Dogs since I have to hold one arm straight out in front of me. I was concerned enough to abbreviate my DB Shoulder program as well, nixing the 25s from the line-up. My hands were wobbly last week and there's no need to risk hitting myself in the face this week, although truthfully, I didn't notice any soreness while I was performing any of the movements.

I'm thinking I'm not going to be sore tomorrow and maybe I'll be brave and venture onto a different cardio machine, just for fun.

Sept 2022
Sore Shoulder Thursday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5646)
Distance: 2.85
Cal: 318
Avg Hr: 138, 195-81

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga

DB Incl Press s/s Lat Raise s/s Rev Inc Fly
10 lbs x 25/15/20
15 lbs x 20/15/25
20/15/20 x 20/15/25 x 3 sets

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...