Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Four Day Holiday

I thought about going to the gym on Labor Day because the gym was open until 3 pm. I also thought about going to the gym yesterday, technically the first day back for the new school year. But in my town, only for those kids transitioning from one building to the next, i.e., preschool to grade school, grade school to middle school, middle school to high school. It finally rained though. And that meant all day. 

I even took the dogs to the park in the rain, and although no one else was there, the pups did run about for a few minutes. We only stayed 20 minutes and the rest of the day we kept inside. However, the county is still under a drought watch because a day and a half of rain isn't enough to make up for an entire season of blistering sun. 

Today was the first day back for everyone else. So this morning I got up at 6 to get my son to the school bus stop before 6:45. A new kid moved into the big house at the very end of our road and he and his dad were waiting for the school bus as well as the kid with the nuisance beagle (thankfully she wasn't at the bus stop). We're the only ones in a car and we live the closest to the stop, but I'm also going to the gym once all the boys are headed to school. New dad jogs back up the road before the bus actually arrives.

Even though I was covered from head to toe in rain gear, I got a bug bite on my hand. And of course, it's at the base of my pinky palm side. Meaty palm side which is impossible to scratch. So my hand hurts. And intermittently, my right foot hurts and right elbow. I have weird, oddly loosely flexible joints which means I managed to get my jaw to stop clicking when I chew but my ears feel clogged because maybe my jaw's not quit aligned correctly. All it takes is for me to sleep a little off-side and the jaw is out, or the neck, shoulder, spine, hip, knee...

Sporadic pain is very distracting. While pedaling, I kept wondering if my hand was going to put up with doing pull-ups. Then my foot would hurt. Or my ankle. As it turns out, pull-ups were just fine! Both times! Because I'm done with cardio by 8, I can use the Aerobics Room without worrying about the 9:30 class. I'm surprised to see the gym owner in there setting up weights and step-up platforms. I glance at the schedule taped to the door to confirm class isn't until 9:30. And it isn't, but I'm really surprised to see gym owner's name as the class instructor. Whoa. So, now he's not paying an outside instructor anymore to come 3X a week? One of the front desk gals used to do it but she might be busy or maybe not well. I haven't seen her around too much.

Back in the day, gym owner used to have a few guys working as front desk AND fitness trainers, but now if anyone is looking for specific help, he's the one doing it. Just like there's only one faucet working in the rest room. Because those battery-operated auto-sensor faucets are only great if they work, and a lot of times they don't work. If both faucets are actually working on any given day, then it's likely that one of the auto soap dispensers isn't. Or one of the two paper towel dispensers isn't either. Or the auto flush in one of the three stalls. The problem with all these touch-free auto systems is that there's no manual override for when things go wonky. Well, at least there's still plenty of hot water in the manually-operated shower.

7 Sept 2022
Back to School Wednesday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 1
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5652)
Distance: 2.85
Cal: 317
Avg Hr: 138, 190-86

HGPU 23

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga

HGPU 22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...