Friday, August 26, 2022

Twinge Left

I got to the gym earlier than yesterday and there weren't a lot of people there. Good news. It's been a good news bad news kind of workout. My left hip seems to be more sensitive than ever and is twinging a lot more today. The shoulder less so. Or at least the left one. The right shoulder is a tad sore. Ugh. And as I'm pedaling on the elliptical, I suffer no twinges whatsoever, but the glute starts to throb where the hamstring originates. Hmmm.

I know that there's a Body Pump class scheduled for 9:30 in the Aerobics Room so I don't bother going there even though I'd be done with my core and stretches before then. Because there's always folks and equipment being set up prior to the class, and endless chatting. There are two kids in the Functional Gym Space, and eventually Floppy Girl (she's actually middle-aged but calling her Floppy Woman just doesn't ring) also shows up. Kids because they look like they're my son's age. So, essentially children.

The fat sweaty short guy is in the Stretch Cage when I finish cardio on the elliptical. Well, I can hit that after core, when I'm headed to the free weight area. So far nothing in my routine has caused me any distress. It's only mundane actions, like walking across the gym that sporadically has me wince although the twinge seems muted now. Weird, right?

I'm nervous about making my discomfort worse and almost bail on the DB shoulder routine, then talk myself into seeing just how the warm up set goes. It's fine. Increasing the DB weight is also fine. I get as far as I did last week, using the bar for inclined presses and 25 lb DBs for reverse inclined flys. But only 2 sets. With the 20 lb DBs, I felt stress in my lower back while doing the reverse flys. Oddly, I didn't have this issue with the 25s but I didn't want to push my luck. Small adjustments in body position can mean the difference between a productive workout and injury.

The two kids from the Functional gym space show up to push some weights. There's a smattering of adults who are either too lazy or too preoccupied to follow gym etiquette and leave benches oddly positioned and plates still on the bar. Which means there's confusion as to whether a station is actually available for use. A regular chatters with a middle-age newbie. I disdain most newbies. They tend to do their workouts right up against the DB rack so no one else can access any equipment...

Meanwhile, a new article states that cardio is not enough to preserve health into longevity. Strength training is also crucial. Well, duh. Click here to read that pearl of wisdom, and yes, I've used the "gift" option so you shouldn't need a subscription to read the article. 

24 Aug 2022
Twinge Left Friday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 2
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5740)
Distance: 2.89
Cal: 323
Avg Hr: 140, 212-83

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga

HGPU 23

DB Incl Press s/s Lat Raise s/s Rev Inc Fly (lower back @ 20+ lbs)
10 lbs x 25/15/20 reps warm up
15 x 20/15/25 reps x 1
20/15/20 lbs x 20/15/25 reps x 1
45 (oly bar)/15/25 x 25/15/25 x 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...