Monday, August 8, 2022

Easing Back Into the Routine

I don't appreciate hot humid weather. It makes me cranky and very unmotivated. It also makes it difficult to sleep. Lately I've been dozing in the living room where the air is cooler and dryer due to our one wall a/c unit. The bedroom has a fan but that doesn't help with stifling humidity that makes me feel like I'm drowning. Not at all restful! Summer camp is over and I can actually get to the gym at a reasonable time. Today I'm there before 8 am, which means that I can do core and stretching in the Aerobics Room. Too bad it's not ice cold. The near constant 90 plus weather is taxing everyone's a/c system. The gym's not really crowded though, so I'm pleased.

I keep cardio short but add back those 10 minutes at the end when I climb onto the Step Machine. It's not horrible. I missed Friday's workout and make up the pull-ups today. I had fully planned to come to the gym, was dressed in workout clothes, had my gym bag in the car, but said car was making an unexpected screeching noise when I dropped my son off at his last day of camp. I had also noticed fluid in the driveway but I didn't know what kind (not oil or antifreeze). For all I knew, it might've been condensation dripping off the car from all the humidity. 

The local Valvoline checked my car and discovered a leak in the rusty power steering line. "Buy some power steering fluid," they advised as they topped off the reservoir. The pump wasn't damaged but would be if I let the fluid run dry. And the car would be impossible to steer. Those Valvoline guys have helped me out a bunch of times (for no fee) but they don't do repairs like that. My husband says it's because I'm a "girl" and he's probably right. But I'm also too paranoid to let this go for very long and got a same-day appointment at the dealership repair shop. It took forever... or several hours. And it cost a lot of money (mostly for labor). But all the rusty lines got replaced. Subarus are still notorious for rusting. Living on wetlands doesn't help. 

Tomorrow I'll go back to 30 minutes of cardio. It'll probably hurt. Maybe get some triceps work done. I read somewhere that overhead tricep extensions generate better results than push-downs (due to the stress on the long head of the triceps). I don't do either of those, but the alternating skull crushers and rip skulls are my best choices so far. I do have to be cautious with my feet positioning as the rip skulls tend to stress my lower back a tad and the resulting sciatic discomfort makes me feel like I'm getting old. Egads!

8 Aug 2022
Hot Humid Monday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 20 min + 5 min cd (4052)
Distance: 2.05
Cal: 228
Avg Hr: 150, 194-84

HGPU 23

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga x 3

HGPU 20

Matrix StepMill (L)
Manual 10 min
Speed 6 (52-55)
Steps 542
Floors 33
Cal 79
Hr 145

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...