Wednesday, August 17, 2022

MIx It Up

I had to get more calming meds for the dog with the digestive woes before taking him to his late day appointment yesterday. Which meant my morning gym session wasn't happening. Today, I compromise and do a combination workout with the standard 35 minutes of cardio, plus the standard core and stretching, but only one set of pull-ups because I'm sneaking the tricep workout in as well. And the gym is crowded today! Is it because it's Wednesday, or because there's the slight threat of rain? Who knows? There are more kids as well, which is surprising considering it's not noon. 

I'm a bit late and not in the mood to deal with the cackling women who gather early in the Aerobics Room for their Body Pump class. There are two people using the equipment in the Functional Gym area and they are chatting loudly, but I can drown them out with my tunes. Thank goodness for headphones and iPods. 

The free weight area is mostly empty so I'm able to use the bench I want for Skull Crushers and Rip Skulls. I take my time, careful to note how the overhead stretch causes me to clench the right glute and hamstring as I brace myself. I have to consciously relax those muscles to prevent a hamstring spasm (it's happened to me more than once) or to aggravate the latent sciatica waiting to happen. I'm glad not to go heavier as the elbows twinge sporadically. I'm at my limit for weight and reps, but slowing my pace means I can add the third set.

The pup with the digestive woes got checked out and didn't have any apparent parasites or fever (infection). So he got prescribed mostly probiotics and some metronidazole, an anti-inflammatory that is also antimicrobial and anti-protozoan. Because dogs eat all sorts of stuff that's not good for them. Unfortunately, this drug can have side effects like nausea and loss of appetite, probably due to the bitter metallic taste it can leave in the mouth. My vet has given us a few cans of the Science Diet i/d food for digestive woes. The afflicted pup eats less than half the can. The other pup, smaller and pickier with food, readily scarfs up leftovers.

17 Aug 2022
Mixed Bag Wednesday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 1
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5718)
Distance: 2.87
Cal: 320
Avg Hr: 134, 202-84

HGPU 23

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Eye yoga
Upper body stretch

Skull Crushers / Rip Skulls
30 lbs x 12 reps each x 2 sets total
32.5 x 12 x 6

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...