Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Hurrah for A/C

I skipped yesterday's workout because phone calls are best done first thing in the morning, and I've come to dislike afternoons with kids at the gym. I'm greeted with a pleasant blast of cold air this morning. Yaay for air conditioning! I fully plan to bring the pups to the park after 11 today, when most of the morning group has gone. I'm just not in the mood to deal with potential issues between my big dog and one of the other pups who seems to invite trouble by side-eyeing everyone. Articles about canine behavior call it the "whale eye." It's a sign of anxiety and potential distress that can lead to aggressive actions by other pups.

My cardio session is still a shorter 25 minutes, which is good enough to get warm and sweaty. Snow Bird beats me to the Stretch Cage so I skip the first set of pull-ups. (WTF? He used to come at 8:30 am and it's 9:35 now, so that's thrown me off schedule.) I do my core and stretches in the Functional Workout space by the entrance. There's only two people there today, both on the Hoist multi-station trainer. I'm shocked that there are no teenage girls doing squats or other power moves in front of the mirror here. Shocked but I don't miss them. Nope. Not at all.

The Stretch Cage is empty when I walk past to the free weight area, so naturally I get a set of pull-ups in. I feel oddly weak and tired. It's not a good feeling. There are only four or five people scattered throughout this section of the gym so I'm happy to have access to a bench and BBs. I only have to waste my time searching for the thin 1.25 magnetic discs to bring the BB to 32.5 lbs for sets 3 through 6. My arms feel unusually tired and I worry about dropping the BB on my face. So I stop at set 6 even though I'd gotten up to 8 last week. 

It's going to be very hot today (87F), and even hotter tomorrow (95F). There's a very good chance that the sun will shoot a massive solar blitz our way by then. But that won't stop the biting insects from attacking me through my clothes--my legs are covered in swollen bruises that look like I've been in a fight. Ugh. Have I mentioned how not fond of summer I am? And, even though it's been hot and humid, my skin threatens to crack and bleed if not properly moisturized. Such a damn princess! 

Today I tried the Ensure Max Protein Cherry Cheesecake flavor. It's very mild so not terribly cherry or cheesecake. Which is good. Although seniors (the market for this product) are known for lessened taste sensitivity, so I don't know what Abbott is thinking in creating this flavor. But it's 30 grams of lactose-free whey protein for less than $2.00 a serving if you buy it on sale, or with massive coupons. And most of the flavors are pretty good, like French vanilla.

3 Aug 2022
Hot Humid Wednesday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 1
Time: 20 min + 5 min cd (4134)
Distance: 2.0
Cal: 2317
Avg Hr: 146, 192-110

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga x 1

HGPU 22

Skull Crushers / Rip Skulls
30 lbs x 12 reps each x 2 sets total
32.5 x 12 x 4 sets total

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...