Thursday, May 12, 2022

First, Do No Harm

I skipped yesterday's workout and went back to sleep for an hour, hoping to cure myself of the mild vertigo that sometimes accompanies sleep deprivation. (It might also be allergies as the lilacs and other trees are in bloom now.) The effects of sleep deprivation are controversial in whether or not they mimic alcohol intoxication and there are several online articles both confirming and denying this. Apparently, some folks arrested for DUI have used sleep deprivation as their excuse for failing the field sobriety test. Of course, breathalyzers can objectively confirm the reason for impairment and are routinely used these days.

As a night owl, I never spring out of bed at dawn feeling chipper and energetic. My first impulse is always to pull the covers over my head and catch a few more Zzzzs. I get to the gym and it's already warm outside. (Temps peak in the mid 70s today.) Cardio surprises me pleasantly. I'm not sleepy anymore but still feel tired. (But I feel as if I'm always tired unless I'm actually doing something physical.) I give Superman Planks one more go, but I've decided it's not worth the potential for injury. Not only does my shoulder hurt from it, but my upper spine is all twisted up trying to maintain this position and just short of spasms. There's no problem with plain ol' Elbow Planks or Bird Dogs. Perhaps I should try side planks again? The little bones on the sides of my feet weren't happy with those. There's just no pleasing some old joints...

12 May 2021
Bright Thursday Morn

Precor elliptical #1
Program 1
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5934)
Distance: 2.94
Cal: 331
Avg Hr 140, max 202-90

HGPU 22

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
*Superman Plank 30s each side
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga
Band pull-aparts 25

HGPU 23

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...